Grammar Quiz

He ____ on his essay all day, but he ____ yet.

A. has been writing – has not finished

B. has writing – has not been finishing

C. have been written – have not finished

D. has written – has not been finishing

Select your answer:          

Next Quiz >

Other quiz:

She loves Paris. She ________ (be) there many times.

C. has been

Select the meaning of the underlined word in the sentence.

The nurse observed that the skin around the sore was inflamed .             A.     Blanched       B.     Covered with a scab       C.     Cool to the touch       D.     Reddened

How to use : Read the question carefully, then select one of the answers button.

GrammarQuiz.Net - Improve your knowledge of English grammar, the best way to kill your free time.

WordReference Forums

  • Rules/Help/FAQ Help/FAQ
  • Members Current visitors
  • Interface Language

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

  • English Only

He _____ his homework yet

  • Thread starter cfu507
  • Start date Aug 18, 2007

cfu507

Senior Member

  • Aug 18, 2007
  • hasn't finished
  • didn't finish

Joelline

In colloquial English, I don't think #2 is wrong. Suppose one asked the question: "Did John finish his homework yet?" An appropriate answer might be, "No, he didn't finish his homework yet." Perhaps a purist might say that the word "yet" precludes option 2, but I think this is a little too "pure" for most native speakers.  

Trisia

  • Aug 19, 2007

anothersmith

Number 2 sounds bad to me, for the reasons Trisia stated. Perhaps I'm in the minority of AE speakers, but I never say "did . . . yet?" or "didn't . . . yet."  

anothersmith said: Number 2 sounds bad to me, for the reasons Trisia stated. Perhaps I'm in the minority of AE speakers, but I never say "did . . . yet?" or "didn't . . . yet." Click to expand...

anothersmith and Dimcl, So, you've never said to anyone, "Didn't you eat yet?"* I'm surprised. In my neck of the woods, it would sound pompous to say, "Haven't you eaten yet?" to family members, for example. *And "Did you eat yet?" (which sounds like "Jeet yet?") is the pure Pittsburghese that I learned in the cradle!  

kenny4528

Joelline said: anothersmith and Dimcl, So, you've never said to anyone, "Didn't you eat yet?"* I'm surprised. In my neck of the woods, it would sound pompous to say, "Haven't you eaten yet?" to family members, for example. *And "Did you eat yet?" (which sounds like "Jeet yet?") is the pure Pittsburghese that I learned in the cradle! Click to expand...

nichec

Dimcl said: No, absolutely not, Joelline. In fact, I've heard it when in the U.S. and cringe every time (Waitress: "Did you know what you want to eat?" ). Nothing personal, but.... arrgghh! Click to expand...

Thank you all So... if I want to use "yet" in my sentence, then I have to use past perfect. I have only one problem (which is only mine). I thought that present perfect is for something that happened in the past and I don't care when exactly it happened (for example, I've eaten in this restaurant before). But I guess I'm wrong (according to Trisia's explanation) and I will read about it later. Thank you.  

  • Aug 22, 2007
cfu507 said: So... if I want to use "yet" in my sentence, then I have to use past perfect . Click to expand...
cfu507 said: I thought that present perfect is for something that happened in the past and I don't care when exactly it happened (for example, I've eaten in this restaurant before) Click to expand...
  • Something that hasn't happened yet = the kids finished eating
  • something that still goes on = they're still not finished with their meal.

sound shift

sound shift

Perhaps the source that says option no. 2 is wrong is British. "He didn't finish his homework yet" is not BE, though it may become standard before long through the copying of US practice.  

So much is at stake in writing a conclusion. This is, after all, your last chance to persuade your readers to your point of view, to impress yourself upon them as a writer and thinker. And the impression you create in your conclusion will shape the impression that stays with your readers after they've finished the essay.

The end of an essay should therefore convey a sense of completeness and closure as well as a sense of the lingering possibilities of the topic, its larger meaning, its implications: the final paragraph should close the discussion without closing it off.

To establish a sense of closure, you might do one or more of the following:

  • Conclude by linking the last paragraph to the first, perhaps by reiterating a word or phrase you used at the beginning.
  • Conclude with a sentence composed mainly of one-syllable words. Simple language can help create an effect of understated drama.
  • Conclude with a sentence that's compound or parallel in structure; such sentences can establish a sense of balance or order that may feel just right at the end of a complex discussion.

To close the discussion without closing it off, you might do one or more of the following:

  • Conclude with a quotation from or reference to a primary or secondary source, one that amplifies your main point or puts it in a different perspective. A quotation from, say, the novel or poem you're writing about can add texture and specificity to your discussion; a critic or scholar can help confirm or complicate your final point. For example, you might conclude an essay on the idea of home in James Joyce's short story collection,  Dubliners , with information about Joyce's own complex feelings towards Dublin, his home. Or you might end with a biographer's statement about Joyce's attitude toward Dublin, which could illuminate his characters' responses to the city. Just be cautious, especially about using secondary material: make sure that you get the last word.
  • Conclude by setting your discussion into a different, perhaps larger, context. For example, you might end an essay on nineteenth-century muckraking journalism by linking it to a current news magazine program like  60 Minutes .
  • Conclude by redefining one of the key terms of your argument. For example, an essay on Marx's treatment of the conflict between wage labor and capital might begin with Marx's claim that the "capitalist economy is . . . a gigantic enterprise of dehumanization "; the essay might end by suggesting that Marxist analysis is itself dehumanizing because it construes everything in economic -- rather than moral or ethical-- terms.
  • Conclude by considering the implications of your argument (or analysis or discussion). What does your argument imply, or involve, or suggest? For example, an essay on the novel  Ambiguous Adventure , by the Senegalese writer Cheikh Hamidou Kane, might open with the idea that the protagonist's development suggests Kane's belief in the need to integrate Western materialism and Sufi spirituality in modern Senegal. The conclusion might make the new but related point that the novel on the whole suggests that such an integration is (or isn't) possible.

Finally, some advice on how not to end an essay:

  • Don't simply summarize your essay. A brief summary of your argument may be useful, especially if your essay is long--more than ten pages or so. But shorter essays tend not to require a restatement of your main ideas.
  • Avoid phrases like "in conclusion," "to conclude," "in summary," and "to sum up." These phrases can be useful--even welcome--in oral presentations. But readers can see, by the tell-tale compression of the pages, when an essay is about to end. You'll irritate your audience if you belabor the obvious.
  • Resist the urge to apologize. If you've immersed yourself in your subject, you now know a good deal more about it than you can possibly include in a five- or ten- or 20-page essay. As a result, by the time you've finished writing, you may be having some doubts about what you've produced. (And if you haven't immersed yourself in your subject, you may be feeling even more doubtful about your essay as you approach the conclusion.) Repress those doubts. Don't undercut your authority by saying things like, "this is just one approach to the subject; there may be other, better approaches. . ."

Copyright 1998, Pat Bellanca, for the Writing Center at Harvard University

Module 2: Punctuation

Ending punctuation.

The three most common punctuation marks that come at the end of a sentence are the period, the question mark, and the exclamation point. In MLA, a sentence is followed by a single space, no matter what the concluding punctuation is.

The word period, followed by a period.

Question Marks

An icon showing a question mark

Direct questions obviously use question marks, but so do rhetorical questions, which writers employ to make a point, and which do not expect an answer. Often the answer is implied or obvious, e.g. “Who would have thought that invading Russia during the bitter winter of 1812 would turn out to be a disaster for Napoleon’s lightly clad troops?” At other times, rhetorical questions can be used for heightened rhetorical effect, as when Percy Bysshe Shelley ends his  Ode to the West Wind with, “O Wind, / If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?”

Polite requests framed as questions also have a question mark, even though they aren’t really seeking an answer, e.g., “Would you hold this beaker?”

Indirect Questions

Indirect questions can be used in many of the same ways as direct ones, but they often emphasize knowledge or lack of knowledge:

  • I can’t guess how Admiral Nelson managed it .
  • I wonder whether I looked that competent .
  • The supervisor asked where the reports were .

Such clauses correspond to direct questions , which are questions actually asked. The direct questions corresponding to the examples above are How did Admiral Nelson manage it? Did I look that competent? Where are the reports? Notice how different word order is used in direct and indirect questions: in direct questions the verb usually comes before the subject, while indirect questions the verb appears second. Additionally, question marks should not be used at the end of indirect questions.

Are the following sentences direct or indirect questions? Which need a question mark at the end?

  • Jackie wondered where her textbooks were
  • Can you pass the scalpel
  • Is anyone here
  • She asked how you were doing
  • Why won’t you admit I’m right
  • Indirect; no question mark
  • Direct; Can you pass the scalpel?
  • Direct; Is anyone here?
  • Direct; Why won’t you admit I’m right?

Exclamation Points

an icon showing an exclamation point in its center.

!!!!!! I’m jUST SO!!!!!!

While this kind of statement is highly effective in that Internet context, it’s unconventional in a piece of writing in standardized academic English. If you want to emphasize something in an essay, you often do it through your wording rather than through an exclamation mark. Here’s F. Scott Fitzgerald on the topic, and attitudes haven’t changed much in academia in the past century, although if you feel strongly that an exclamation point will make a moment in your writing more effective, you have the right to code mesh:

Cut out all these exclamation points. . . . An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke. — F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Text: Periods. Authored by : Lumen Learning. License : CC BY: Attribution
  • Revision and Adaptation of Wikipedia content. License : CC BY-SA: Attribution-ShareAlike
  • Original Icons. Authored by : Lumen Learning. License : CC BY: Attribution
  • Revision and Adaptation. Authored by : Gillian Paku. Provided by : SUNY Geneseo. License : CC BY: Attribution
  • Question. Provided by : Wikipedia. Located at : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question . License : CC BY-SA: Attribution-ShareAlike
  • Content clause. Provided by : Wikipedia. Located at : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_clause#Interrogative_content_clauses . License : CC BY-SA: Attribution-ShareAlike
  • Exclamation mark. Provided by : Wikipedia. Located at : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark . License : CC BY-SA: Attribution-ShareAlike

Footer Logo Lumen Candela

Privacy Policy

Interesting Literature

Mark Twain’s Rules for Good Writing

Mark Twain’s 18 rules for writing – part of his response to the fiction of James Fenimore Cooper

Mark Twain (1835-1910) is the writer who once observed, ‘The difference between the almost right word and the right word is the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning.’ (We include that pithy gem in our selection of Mark Twain’s best one-liners , and we’ve offered our favourite Mark Twain facts here.) In his essay, ‘ Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses ‘ (1895), Twain took the author of The  Deerslayer  and  The Last of the Mohicans  to task for his flawed writing style. Scathingly, but hilariously, he writes:

Another stage-property that he pulled out of his box pretty frequently was the broken twig. He prized his broken twig above all the rest of his effects, and worked it the hardest. It is a restful chapter in any book of his when somebody doesn’t step on a dry twig and alarm all the reds and whites for two hundred yards around. Every time a Cooper person is in peril, and absolute silence is worth four dollars a minute, he is sure to step on a dry twig. There may be a hundred other handier things to step on, but that wouldn’t satisfy Cooper. Cooper requires him to turn out and find a dry twig; and if he can’t do it, go and borrow one. In fact, the Leatherstocking Series ought to have been called the Broken Twig Series.

Earlier in his essay, Twain had asserted: ‘There are nineteen rules governing literary art in domain of romantic fiction – some say twenty-two. In “Deerslayer,” Cooper violated eighteen of them.’ Twain then goes on to outline these eighteen rules which Fenimore Cooper had, Twain felt, failed to observe. They are included below.

1. A tale shall accomplish something and arrive somewhere.

Mark Twain in bed

3. The personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and that always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others.

4. The personages in a tale, both dead and alive, shall exhibit a sufficient excuse for being there.

5. When the personages of a tale deal in conversation, the talk shall sound like human talk, and be talk such as human beings would be likely to talk in the given circumstances, and have a discoverable meaning, also a discoverable purpose, and a show of relevancy, and remain in the neighborhood of the subject in hand, and be interesting to the reader, and help out the tale, and stop when the people cannot think of anything more to say.

6. When the author describes the character of a personage in his tale, the conduct and conversation of that personage shall justify said description.

Mark Twain Shirtless

8. Crass stupidities shall not be played upon the reader by either the author or the people in the tale.

9. The personages of a tale shall confine themselves to possibilities and let miracles alone; or, if they venture a miracle, the author must so plausably set it forth as to make it look possible and reasonable.

10. The author shall make the reader feel a deep interest in the personages of his tale and their fate; and that he shall make the reader love the good people in the tale and hate the bad ones.

11. The characters in tale be so clearly defined that the reader can tell beforehand what each will do in a given emergency.

An author should

12. _Say_ what he is proposing to say, not merely come near it. 13. Use the right word, not its second cousin. 14. Eschew surplusage. 15. Not omit necessary details. 16. Avoid slovenliness of form. 17. Use good grammar. 18. Employ a simple, straightforward style.

More fiction-writing advice can be had in this post outlining Michael Moorcock’s advice on how to write a novel in three days , and we offer some tips on how to write an English essay here.

Image (top): Mark Twain lying in bed, 1906 (author: Underwood & Underwood), Wikimedia Commons, public domain. Image (bottom):  Mark Twain Shirtless, c. 1883, author unknown ; Wikimedia Commons; public domain .

Discover more from Interesting Literature

Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.

Type your email…

27 thoughts on “Mark Twain’s Rules for Good Writing”

Reblogged this on the shadows illuminated .

I always enjoying reading anything this man wrote. The older I get the more I enjoy and am impressed by his work.

Reblogged this on hocuspocus13 and commented: jinxx🍁xoxo

Very informative, thank you.

Maybe the broken twig is the literary equivalent of the film cough. Anyone who coughs in a film is usually dead in about ten minutes. It’s always a cough. Mind you I’m not sure what else it could be – a faint? a trip? a headache? Oh well, there’s a few to be going on with.

Reblogged this on AngieTrafford and commented: LOL, I am quite proud of the fact that I don’t believe that any of my characters have actually stepped on a dry twig!

Informative and hilarious. He was truly a one-of-a-kind gentleman.I am re-blogging because I love it.

Reblogged this on The English Professor at Large and commented: Thanks to the Interesting Literature blog, we have this informative and hilarious article on Mark Twain’s writing tips.

In my opinion, anything with Mark Twain is excellent! He was the only author I know of that can write a compelling story and you didn’t have to open a dictionary once to understand.

That twig comment is hilarious :D

Clemens had a thing about Cooper. I seem to recall reading about something particularly sarcastic he had to say about the impossibility of some element of action in his books, and it made sense. I join the many who are in full disagreement with many of these tips, though,

Here, Here, Mark! Witty and wise all at once – that’s what we expect from the master Twain.

Reblogged this on Jeanne Owens, author .

  • Pingback: Five Fascinating Facts about Mark Twain | Interesting Literature
  • Pingback: 15 Great Sourced Mark Twain Quotes | Interesting Literature

I hope you won’t mind me reblogging at Bookheathen. It seems to me there’s more good advice here than in a dozen books on the subject.

Not at all! And I agree: most of the time Twain proves himself wise as well as witty.

Reblogged this on Bookheathen's Right to Read and commented: There’s more good advice here than in a dozen books on the subject!

Reblogged this on The Speculative Fiction of William Gosline and commented: I recently listened to “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” in my work truck and was amazed by Twain’s precision of voice. I couldn’t believe he had written the book in the 1870s, There is a reason this writer is still considered one of the great American writers to this day.

Cool! Mind checking out my blog? https://iamjishnu.wordpress.com

These are amazing! Really enjoyed reading, and there are so many books that break rule 5 these days, sometimes on more than one count…

Wish Mr. Twain could do something about quality of today’s TV drama scripts. Heck, let’s have him do something about most entertainment venues.

Interesting, with some good advice.

  • Pingback: Mark Twain’s Rules for Good Writing | Peacejusticelove's Blog

Enlightening and bloody funny.

Love to see the man so robust in the photos, compared to what you hear about his last despairing years.

  • Pingback: On Cutting Your Script… Notes from an Expert – Zoodiker

Comments are closed.

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Mark Twain's Top 10 Writing Tips

"Don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in"

  • An Introduction to Punctuation
  • Ph.D., Rhetoric and English, University of Georgia
  • M.A., Modern English and American Literature, University of Leicester
  • B.A., English, State University of New York

Widely regarded as the greatest American writer of his time, Mark Twain was often asked for advice on the art and craft of writing. Sometimes the famous humorist would respond seriously, and sometimes not. Here, in remarks drawn from his letters, essays, novels, and speeches are 10 of Twain's most memorable observations on the writer's craft.

10 Tips From Twain

  • Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.
  • Use the right word, not its second cousin.
  • As to the Adjective : when in doubt, strike it out.
  • You need not expect to get your book right the first time. Go to work and revamp or rewrite it. God only exhibits his thunder and lightning at intervals, and so they always command attention. These are God's adjectives. You thunder and lightning too much; the reader ceases to get under the bed, by and by.
  • Substitute damn every time you're inclined to write very ; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.
  • Use good grammar .
  • Damnation (if you will allow the expression), get up & take a turn around the block & let the sentiment blow off you. Sentiment is for girls. . . . There is one thing I can't stand and won't stand, from many people. That is, sham sentimentality.
  • Use plain, simple language , short words and brief sentences. That is the way to write English--it is the modern way and the best way. Stick to it; don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in.
  • The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is that you really want to say.
  • Write without pay until somebody offers pay. If nobody offers within three years, the candidate may look upon this circumstance with the most implicit confidence as the sign that sawing wood is what he was intended for.

Sources: 1. Quoted by Rudyard Kipling in From Sea to Sea (1899) 2. "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences" (1895) 3. Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894) 4. Letter to Orion Clemens (March 1878) 5. frequently attributed to Twain, but the source is unknown 6. "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences" (1895) 7. Letter to Will Bowen (1876) 8. Letter to D. W. Bowser (March 1880) 9. Mark Twain's Notebook: 1902-1903 10. "Mark Twain's General Reply"

  • Verbosity (Composition and Communication)
  • 12 Classic Essays on English Prose Style
  • Mark Twain: His Life and His Humor
  • Mark Twain's Views on Enslavement
  • What Were Mark Twain's Inventions?
  • Who's the Real Huckleberry Finn?
  • Mark Twain's Feel for Language and Locale Brings His Stories to Life
  • Quotes from Mark Twain, Master of Sarcasm
  • Strategies to Proofread Effectively
  • A Closer Look at "A Ghost Story" by Mark Twain
  • Mark Twain's Colloquial Prose Style
  • The Story of Samuel Clemens as "Mark Twain"
  • Classic British and American Essays and Speeches
  • Reading Quiz: 'Two Ways of Seeing a River' by Mark Twain
  • The Meaning of the Pseudonym Mark Twain
  • Mark Twain's "A Letter From Santa Claus"

mark not finish his essay yet

  • Search forums
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources? Check out our Notes & Resources page
  • Secondary Education
  • English Advanced

do we lose marks if we dont finish the essay?

  • Thread starter live.fast
  • Start date Oct 17, 2007

in the english exam i mean? if say your up to your conclusion, and its the maddest stuff out, but then you run out of time - how badly will you get marked down? or do you get marked down at all?  

live.fast said: in the english exam i mean? if say your up to your conclusion, and its the maddest stuff out, but then you run out of time - how badly will you get marked down? or do you get marked down at all? Click to expand...

Mister Monday

They don't take marks off as such, but mark you on what's been done, so it's still impossible to get full marks if you don't finish your essay.  

Seppuku

greycats said: They don't take marks off as such, but mark you on what's been done, so it's still impossible to get full marks if you don't finish your essay. Click to expand...

hannahbonanaxx

if your up to the conclusion, you should be finished within like 2min so watch the clock, and make sure u have time to write a decent conclusion round it off and the markers prob wont notice you ran a bit short you wont lose marks, just might not get extra ones. my advice: watch the clock the whole time! if you time it properly youll always finish it well.  

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥

Morganforrest.

Technically you start at zero marks at the start of your text and they simply read through and give you marks for everything you do right. The reason you wouldn't be able to get full marks is because their is a n outcome on your ability to write. If you don't finish then you don't fulfill the requirement of "Composes a well integrated response using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context" So they don't mark you down as such, but they can't give you full marks. My advice is to finish, even if your last argument is a little weak (use the stimulus text as your last one imo)  

samuel slack

Section 1- AOS essay- Creative Writing. Thats how I handle Paper 1, because I can make up a pretty decent story in a small amount of time.  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

  • IELTS Scores
  • Life Skills Test
  • Find a Test Centre
  • Alternatives to IELTS
  • General Training
  • Academic Word List
  • Topic Vocabulary
  • Collocation
  • Phrasal Verbs
  • Writing eBooks
  • Reading eBook
  • All eBooks & Courses

Not Finishing the IELTS Writing Task 1

by meki (milano)

mark not finish his essay yet

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  • Click on the HTML link code below.
  • Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Band 7+ eBooks

"I think these eBooks are FANTASTIC!!! I know that's not academic language, but it's the truth!"

Linda, from Italy, Scored Band 7.5

ielts buddy ebooks

IELTS Modules:

Other resources:.

  • All Lessons
  • Band Score Calculator
  • Writing Feedback
  • Speaking Feedback
  • Teacher Resources
  • Free Downloads
  • Recent Essay Exam Questions
  • Books for IELTS Prep
  • Useful Links

mark not finish his essay yet

Recent Articles

RSS

Key Phrases for IELTS Speaking: Fluency and Coherence

May 26, 24 06:52 AM

Useful Language for IELTS Graphs

May 16, 24 04:44 AM

Useful Language for IELTS Graphs

Taking a Gap Year

May 14, 24 03:00 PM

Important pages

IELTS Writing IELTS Speaking IELTS Listening   IELTS Reading All Lessons Vocabulary Academic Task 1 Academic Task 2 Practice Tests

Connect with us

mark not finish his essay yet

Copyright © 2022- IELTSbuddy All Rights Reserved

IELTS is a registered trademark of University of Cambridge, the British Council, and IDP Education Australia. This site and its owners are not affiliated, approved or endorsed by the University of Cambridge ESOL, the British Council, and IDP Education Australia.

  • Practice Test
  • Useful Tips – Tricks
  • Full Writing Review
  • General Writing Task
  • Writing Task 1
  • Writing Task 2
  • Writing Exercises
  • Writing Sample – Topics
  • Writing Vocabulary
  • Speaking Vocabulary
  • Intro Question
  • Speaking Part 1
  • Speaking Part 2
  • Speaking Part 2 – Audio
  • Speaking Part 3
  • IELTS Books
  • Recent Exams
  • IELTS Vocabulary
  • Essay from Examiners
  • IELTS Ideas

Logo

[bg_collapse view=”button-red” color=”#4a4949″ icon=”arrow” expand_text=”Show Answer” collapse_text=”Hide Answer” ]

21. A 22. D 23. C 24. B 25. A 26. three/3references 27. introduction 28. evidence 29. edit 30. extra day

[/bg_collapse]

You will hear a conversation between a student called Mark and his teacher, Professor Jones. First you have some time to look at questions 21 to 25.

Now listen carefully and answer questions 21 to 25

Jones : Hello Mark. What can I do for you?

Mark : Oh, hi Professor Jones. I’ve come to ask you a big favour.

Jones : Let me guess, Mark, you want more time for your essay assignment. You’re the third student I’ve seen today, all with the same request! It beats me why a few people leave their planning to the last minute and then think they can come at a day’s notice and get a reprieve. It’s really not fair to all the students who are well planned and organised is it?

Mark : Yes, you’re right, and I’m really sorry I need to ask. I’ve never asked for an extension before.

Jones : So, Mark, why should I grant you an extension when I said no to everyone else today?

Mark : Well, Professor Jones, I really do have a valid reason. It‘s not just the usual, like I have a cold, and I have a certificate from my doctor, or my computer crashed and I lost all my data. I wouldn’t bother you with those old excuses. You see, my twin brother was planning to get married next weekend, but last week his girlfriend told him the wedding was off and he landed on my doorstep. He was really upset. I couldn’t just tell him to go away because I was busy. And of course I would have had three assignments due this week, and all my study plans just went out the window.

Jones : I see. So, why didn’t you come to see me a week ago when your brother first turned up?

Mark : Because I was hoping I would still be able to get it done, but I just can’t manage it. Well, actually I have written the required number of words, more or less, but frankly, I feel it’s terrible. I don’t want to let myself down by handing it in as it is at the moment, and I really don’t want to drop my grade point average by getting a low mark on this assignment.

Jones : Well, the course handbook states very clearly that at least 5 days’ notice is required for any extension, except in emergencies. Those rules were designed to make it fair for everyone you see. You’re supposed to submit a request on the proper form…. and you can send it by email. And you also need to make an appointment and discuss your request in person, as you have done now. Your problem does come very squarely under the ‘family issues’ category, so you probably would have got some extra time if you’d done that. I’m not really inclined to grant this request now, you know.

Mark : Yes, I know I’ve really messed up. I suppose I’ll just have to hand it in as it is, and take a lower grade.

Before you hear the rest of the conversation, you have some time to look at questions 26 to 30.

Now listen and answer questions 26 to 30

Jones : Well, at least you’ve made a start, which is more than can be said for your other colleagues today. Have you got what you’ve done so far? Come on, we’ll look through it together and I’ll see if I can make a few suggestions for a quick fix, how about that?

Mark : Oh, thank you, yes here it is on my laptop.

Jones : Well, let’s see. Let’s start with the bibliography … Yes, you’ve consulted most of the sources I suggested, but you don’t have any references of your own, and that was part of the task, wasn’t it? You need at least three references of your own, see?

Mark : Yes, I know. I did find one more, McDonald and Ferris 2014.

Jones : OK, that’s a good one, I suggest you look at their reference list, too, and chase up a couple more from there. You should be able to find everything you need in the online library databases, especially Languageline.

Mark : Yes, OK. So, what about the essay structure, and the argument? Are they OK, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Jones : Well, you just seem to jump straight in to your first point here. I’m not sure where your essay is going. Where’s the introduction?

Mark : Oh right … I always leave the introduction till the end and write it after I’ve finished the rest of the essay. That way, it ties in to what I’ve already written … Well, that’s what we were taught in the study skills course, anyway.

Jones : Yes, and you’re quite right. So, tell me about your ideas. What’s your main argument?

Mark : Well, I’m not really sure. I think I understand the 3 opposing theories OK, but I don’t really have a strong opinion about which one is correct. I was more thinking of explaining them all as clearly as I can, and then giving the evidence for each one. I don’t think there is a clear-cut right or wrong, well, that’s my opinion anyway. Do we need to say that one is better than the other two?

Jones : No, you don’t, and what you are planning to do is often the best way to go about it. Well, I’ve been skimming through what you’ve written while we’ve been talking, and one thing you definitely must do before you submit this assignment is to edit it for grammar and spelling mistakes. There are a lot of errors here, just simple things that are easy to fix. But still, I can see you’ve done the basic work, and I do sympathise with your brother, it must be very difficult for him. So, I’ll give you one extra day on this essay.

Mark : Oh, thank you Professor Jones, thank you! I’ll hand it in before 5pm on Wednesday, then.

Jones : Yes, that’s the final deadline. Goodbye now!

Really it was so useful thank you so much for the information. Nice Artical and like it.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Latest posts, ielts listening practice test 24 – full answer, ielts listening practice test 23 – full answer, ielts listening practice test 22 – full answer.

IELTS App

IELTS App - For Mobile

Ready for the IELTS exam with our IELTS app. Over 2 million downloads

Download App

Popular Last 24h

In many countries,today there are many highly qualified graduates without employment., describe something difficult you would like to succeed in doing, describe a person whom you met for the first time and made you happy, [ebook] collins for ielts – reading, writing, listening, speaking and vocabulary, [pdf + audio] download full set of 4000 essential english words, makkar ielts speaking may to aug 2024 final version [pdf], describe a quiet place where you would like to spend time.

  • IELTS Test/Skills FAQs
  • IELTS Scoring in Detail
  • Forecast Speaking – 2023
  • List IELTS Speaking Part 3
  • List IELTS Speaking Part 1
  • IELTS Writing 2023 – Actual Test

Our Telegram

Join our community for IELTS preparation and share and download materials.

The information on this site is for informational purposes only. IELTS is a registered trademark of the University of Cambridge ESOL, the British Council, and IDP Education Australia. This site and its owners are not affiliated, approved or endorsed by University of Cambridge ESOL, the British Council, or IDP Education Australia.

Latest Articles

Ielts speaking part 3: tips to answer questions, cue card – describe a gift you bought for someone, cue card – describe a place where you like to go shopping, ielts writing task 1 (process wasted glass bottles) – band 9, ielts speaking part 1: rubbish/ plastic garbage, most popular, describe a film that made you laugh, topic: experience is the best teacher.

ieltspracticeonline All Rights Reserved

Codeforces

  • Custom test

One night, Mark realized that there is an essay due tomorrow. He hasn't written anything yet, so Mark decided to randomly copy-paste substrings from the prompt to make the essay.

More formally, the prompt is a string $$$s$$$ of initial length $$$n$$$. Mark will perform the copy-pasting operation $$$c$$$ times. Each operation is described by two integers $$$l$$$ and $$$r$$$, which means that Mark will append letters $$$s_l s_{l+1} \ldots s_r$$$ to the end of string $$$s$$$. Note that the length of $$$s$$$ increases after this operation.

Of course, Mark needs to be able to see what has been written. After copying, Mark will ask $$$q$$$ queries: given an integer $$$k$$$, determine the $$$k$$$-th letter of the final string $$$s$$$.

The first line contains a single integer $$$t$$$ ($$$1\leq t\leq 1000$$$) — the number of test cases.

The first line of each test case contains three integers $$$n$$$, $$$c$$$, and $$$q$$$ ($$$1\leq n\leq 2\cdot 10^5$$$, $$$1\leq c\leq 40$$$, and $$$1\leq q\leq 10^4$$$) — the length of the initial string $$$s$$$, the number of copy-pasting operations, and the number of queries, respectively.

The second line of each test case contains a single string $$$s$$$ of length $$$n$$$. It is guaranteed that $$$s$$$ only contains lowercase English letters.

The following $$$c$$$ lines describe the copy-pasting operation. Each line contains two integers $$$l$$$ and $$$r$$$ ($$$1\leq l\leq r\leq 10^{18}$$$). It is also guaranteed that $$$r$$$ does not exceed the current length of $$$s$$$.

The last $$$q$$$ lines of each test case describe the queries. Each line contains a single integer $$$k$$$ ($$$1\leq k\leq 10^{18}$$$). It is also guaranteed that $$$k$$$ does not exceed the final length of $$$s$$$.

It is guaranteed that the sum of $$$n$$$ and $$$q$$$ across all test cases does not exceed $$$2\cdot 10^5$$$ and $$$10^4$$$, respectively.

For each query, print the $$$k$$$-th letter of the final string $$$s$$$.

In the first test case, the copy-paste process is as follows.

  • The first step is pasting string $$$\texttt{mark}$$$ at the end, yielding the string $$$\texttt{mark}\color{red}{\texttt{mark}}$$$.
  • The second step is pasting string $$$\texttt{mar}$$$ at the end, yielding the string $$$\texttt{markmark}\color{red}{\texttt{mar}}$$$.
  • The third step is pasting string $$$\texttt{rkmark}$$$ at the end, yielding the string $$$\texttt{markmarkmar}\color{red}{\texttt{rkmark}}$$$.

In the second test case, the copy-paste process is as follows.

  • The first step is pasting string $$$\texttt{re}$$$ at the end, yielding the string $$$\texttt{creamii}\color{red}{\texttt{re}}$$$.
  • The second step is pasting string $$$\texttt{ea}$$$ at the end, yielding the string $$$\texttt{creamiire}\color{red}{\texttt{ea}}$$$.
  • The third step is pasting string $$$\texttt{reamiire}$$$ at the end, yielding the string $$$\texttt{creamiireea}\color{red}{\texttt{reamiire}}$$$.

TON

  • Today's news
  • Reviews and deals
  • Climate change
  • 2024 election
  • Fall allergies
  • Health news
  • Mental health
  • Sexual health
  • Family health
  • So mini ways
  • Unapologetically
  • Buying guides

Entertainment

  • How to Watch
  • My watchlist
  • Stock market
  • Biden economy
  • Personal finance
  • Stocks: most active
  • Stocks: gainers
  • Stocks: losers
  • Trending tickers
  • World indices
  • US Treasury bonds
  • Top mutual funds
  • Highest open interest
  • Highest implied volatility
  • Currency converter
  • Basic materials
  • Communication services
  • Consumer cyclical
  • Consumer defensive
  • Financial services
  • Industrials
  • Real estate
  • Mutual funds
  • Credit cards
  • Balance transfer cards
  • Cash back cards
  • Rewards cards
  • Travel cards
  • Online checking
  • High-yield savings
  • Money market
  • Home equity loan
  • Personal loans
  • Student loans
  • Options pit
  • Fantasy football
  • Pro Pick 'Em
  • College Pick 'Em
  • Fantasy baseball
  • Fantasy hockey
  • Fantasy basketball
  • Download the app
  • Daily fantasy
  • Scores and schedules
  • GameChannel
  • World Baseball Classic
  • Premier League
  • CONCACAF League
  • Champions League
  • Motorsports
  • Horse racing
  • Newsletters

New on Yahoo

  • Privacy Dashboard

Mark Henry Won’t Re-Sign With AEW, Says He Is Not Leaving Pro Wrestling

  • Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again later. More content below

Mark Henry says he’s no longer going to be under contract with AEW, but he still has a bit more left in the tank.

Last week, Henry a big announcement for Monday’s episode of Busted Open . Henry shared with the audience that his AEW contract will expire on May 28, and he will not be re-signing with the company. However, this does not mean Henry is leaving the business.

“At the press conference, Tony Khan said he was very proud of what we did together. And I feel exactly the same way. I appreciate everything that happened at AEW with Tony Khan and the Khan family. I had a great experience. And I do feel like it’s time for me to take more time to handle TheMarkHenry.com and the ReMarkable brand and focus on what my steps are.

“I am not going to be renewing my deal. I think that it’s a mutual thing. If I can’t dedicate 100 percent of myself, then it’s only fair for both parties to end the relationship on a positive note. And like I said, it’s been nothing but positive. I’ve done my best to help as many people as I could. There’s still some things that I wanted to help with, that I didn’t get to finish, but those people have my phone number and any time that they need to call me, I am available for them.

“I am not leaving pro wrestling. What I am saying is that I am going to take some time to work on some projects, and I am going to come back full-force because that’s what I do.”

Sean Ross Sapp of  Fightful (via  F ightful Select ) first reported that Henry’s contract was set to expire this month.

Henry had been with AEW since making his debut at AEW Double Or Nothing 2021. During his tenure, Henry served as a commentator, on-air personality and coach. Prior to that, he spent 25 years with WWE, joining the company after competing in the 1996 Summer Olympics.

If you use this transcription, credit the source, h/t WrestleZone and link to this post.

Six Feet Under

Mark Henry recently spoke with The Undertaker about his “traumatic” experience during their WrestleMania 22 casket match on the  Six Feet Under  podcast.

Henry revealed that he suffers intensely from claustrophobia, and did not want to go in the casket at all. Henry didn’t break during his 8 minutes and 47 seconds (he counted) locked inside the box as he waited for the post-match segment to end.

“I could die tomorrow and people are going to remember that I was in a main event match at WrestleMania over anything—Olympic World Championships, World’s Strongest Man.” Mark Henry told The Undertaker. “They’re going to be like, ‘Remember when he was in the main event with Taker at WrestleMania 22.’.”

“That was one of the most traumatic matches I ever had. Not only was it the greatest going, but I’m claustrophobic. I didn’t want to go in that box. I was in there for 8 minutes and 47 seconds. And I remember all the way down to the last second. When I heard the lightning strike, I was like, ‘Okay, okay,’ and then it was another four minutes before they pushed me through the curtain.”

“In the back, they opened it, and I jumped out, didn’t even touch the sides, and ran up the ramp. That was the only way I could breathe. I don’t think I breathed the whole time I was in there. I get claustrophobic watching movies of people.”

Read More: Mark Henry: Bruce Prichard Couldn’t Produce Mae Young Hotel Scene Because He Was Dying Of Laughter

The post Mark Henry Won’t Re-Sign With AEW, Says He Is Not Leaving Pro Wrestling appeared first on Wrestlezone .

Recommended Stories

Stock market today: us futures mark time as focus turns to inflation data.

Wall Street is starting the holiday-shortened week in a muted mood as the wait for the Fed's favorite inflation data begins.

Opera is adding Google's Gemini AI to its browser

Opera ha teamed up with Google to integrate its Gemini AI models into its Aria AI browser assistant.

BMW Skytop Concept revealed as an elegant M8-powered convertible at Villa d'Este

The BMW Skytop Concept is here, and it’s one pretty M8 Competition-powered convertible.

French Open 2024: How to watch Novak Djokovic vs. Pierre-Hugues Herbert today

It's time for the clay court Grand Slam at Roland Garros. Here's how to tune into Nadal vs. Zverev.

Savings interest rates today, May 28, 2024 (top rate at 5.15%)

Savings interest rates available today are well above historical norms. Find out where to get the best cd rates.

CD rates today, May 28, 2024 (top rate at 5.15% APY)

CD rates available today are well above historical norms. Find out where to get the best cd rates.

Caitlin Clark's next WNBA game: How to watch the Los Angeles Sparks vs. Indiana Fever tonight

Are you ready to watch Caitlin Clark's next WNBA game? The Fever host the Sparks tonight.

Bill Walton was as magical with words as he was with basketball

Bill Walton was one of a kind and lived life to its fullest, even more than his résumé as one of the game's greatest.

Shohei Ohtani progressing to throwing ball from 60 feet in recovery from elbow surgery

Shohei Ohtani has progressed in his throwing program as he recovers from elbow surgery. He's expected to pitch for the Los Angeles Dodgers next season.

Bill Walton the broadcaster and some of his most memorable moments on the mic

In a decades-long post-playing career as a broadcast analyst, Walton was rarely focused or even on topic. But he was never forgettable. And he was never uninspired.

IMAGES

  1. How to Finish an Essay? 10 Tips to Complete Your Essay On Time

    mark not finish his essay yet

  2. Marking: How we mark your essay to improve your grade

    mark not finish his essay yet

  3. How to End an Essay (with Sample Conclusions)

    mark not finish his essay yet

  4. How To Finish 12 Page Essay In ONE NIGHT

    mark not finish his essay yet

  5. How to Finish an Essay In 1-2 Hours (EASIEST WAY)

    mark not finish his essay yet

  6. Don’t have enough time to finish your essay? Nothing to worry

    mark not finish his essay yet

VIDEO

  1. Fr. Mark Beard's Homily

  2. We go GHOST HUNTING in Content Warning!

  3. Buttigieg leaves rightwing host SILENCED on his OWN show

  4. Why the Cody Rhodes American Nightmare Gimmick Works

  5. Enrollment/rollnumber/Marks not matched with University Uploaded Data Problem Solved 2024 🙏

  6. Mark Martin's Big Mistake

COMMENTS

  1. didn't finish…yet" versus "…haven't finished…yet"

    The phrase did not finish is in the past tense, while the word yet indicates that the task is ongoing (present tense), which creates a contradiction. The sentence "I have not finished it yet" is correct because the phrase have not finished is in the present tense and can be safely used with "yet". In fact, the word "yet" is not strictly necessary.

  2. He ____ on his essay all day, but he ____ yet.

    How to use : Read the question carefully, then select one of the answers button. GrammarQuiz.Net - Improve your knowledge of English grammar, the best way to kill your free time. He ____ on his essay all day, but he ____ yet. A. has been writing - has not finished B. has writing - has not been finishing ... - Grammar Quiz.

  3. He _____ his homework yet

    USA (W. Pennsylvania) American English. Aug 18, 2007. #2. In colloquial English, I don't think #2 is wrong. Suppose one asked the question: "Did John finish his homework yet?" An appropriate answer might be, "No, he didn't finish his homework yet." Perhaps a purist might say that the word "yet" precludes option 2, but I think this is a little ...

  4. PDF Strategies for Essay Writing

    oConsideration of counterarguments (what Sandel might say in response to this section of your argument) Each argument you will make in an essay will be different, but this strategy will often be a useful first step in figuring out the path of your argument. Strategy #2: Use subheadings, even if you remove themlater.

  5. perfect aspect

    In an online placement test that is, frankly, not the best of the best, this sentence is provided with a gap to be filled: Have you already finished your essay? - No, I will ___ it by this Thursday; The correct answer is, obviously, "have finished", but I wonder: Why is "finish" (just Future Simple) listed as incorrect?

  6. PDF The Essay Writer's Guide to

    guide will look at how punctuation can be used to improve the style and flow of your essay, and some common errors that should be avoided. . The Full Stop All grammatically complete sentences will end with a full stop. As always, there are some exceptions to this rule, for instance, headings, subtitles and bullet points would not finish with a

  7. Punctuation

    Other punctuation marks used alongside parentheses need to take into account their context. If the parentheses enclose a full sentence beginning with a capital letter, then the end punctuation for the sentence falls inside the parentheses. For example: Typically, suppliers specify air to cloth ratios of 6:1 or higher.

  8. Ending the Essay: Conclusions

    Finally, some advice on how not to end an essay: Don't simply summarize your essay. A brief summary of your argument may be useful, especially if your essay is long--more than ten pages or so. But shorter essays tend not to require a restatement of your main ideas. Avoid phrases like "in conclusion," "to conclude," "in summary," and "to sum up ...

  9. What happens to my essay score if I don't finish in time?

    Based on what you've said about your essay, you would probably score a 2 on the Writing component from both graders. One of the qualifications for a score of 2 is "The response may include an ineffective introduction and/or conclusion." Responses that score a 3 on the Writing component must " [include] an effective introduction and conclusion."

  10. Ending Punctuation

    The three most common punctuation marks that come at the end of a sentence are the period, the question mark, and the exclamation point. In MLA, a sentence is followed by a single space, no matter what the concluding punctuation is. Periods. Periods indicate a neutral sentence, and as such are by far the most common ending punctuation mark.

  11. Mark Twain's Rules for Good Writing

    Mark Twain's 18 rules for writing - part of his response to the fiction of James Fenimore Cooper. Mark Twain (1835-1910) is the writer who once observed, 'The difference between the almost right word and the right word is the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning.' (We include that pithy gem in our selection of Mark Twain's best one-liners, and we've offered our ...

  12. Mark Twain's Top 10 Writing Tips

    Widely regarded as the greatest American writer of his time, Mark Twain was often asked for advice on the art and craft of writing. Sometimes the famous humorist would respond seriously, and sometimes not. Here, in remarks drawn from his letters, essays, novels, and speeches are 10 of Twain's most memorable observations on the writer's craft.

  13. Irony in the End: A Textual and Literary Analysis of Mark 16:8

    Therefore "given the specifics of Mark 16:7, the reader is logically not in a position to succeed where the women failed." 60. (5) Mark's ending holds out promise despite the disciple's proclivity for failure.61 According to this view, neither 16:7 nor 16:8 is allowed to trump the other verse.

  14. Chapter 5 Punctuation Quiz Flashcards

    Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like Select the correctly punctuated sentence. A. I plan to graduate in May, 2020. B. I plan to graduate in May 2020. C. I plan to graduate, in May 2020., Select the correctly punctuated sentence. A. Carlos studied for his algebra test and his English exam. B. Carlos studied for his algebra test, and his English exam. C. Carlos ...

  15. do we lose marks if we dont finish the essay?

    The reason you wouldn't be able to get full marks is because their is a n outcome on your ability to write. If you don't finish then you don't fulfill the requirement of "Composes a well integrated response using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context". So they don't mark you down as such, but they can't give you full marks.

  16. What happens if I didn't finish the IELTS Task 1?

    When I first took the IELTS exam, I didn't finish my Task 1 as well, but I did get 6 on writing. I think, if you wrote a clear and good Task 2, it will pull up your score. Also, if you were able to include the main points in your Task 1, then I think you can get 5.5 even if you did not finish your essay. Jul 23, 2015.

  17. Listening Full Test 7

    A. he was sick and went to the doctor. B. he had a problem with his computer. C. his brother had a personal problem. 24. Mark didn't come to see Professor Jones a week ago because: A. he thought his writing was very bad. B he planned to finish the essay on time. C he wanted to keep his grade point average. 25.

  18. Not Dead Yet

    QE49- March 2013. Mark Latham. Not Dead Yet. Labor's post-Left future. With an election looming and criticism of the ALP now a national pastime, Mark Latham considers the future for Labor. The nation has changed, but can the party? With wit and insight, Latham reveals an organisation top-heavy with factional bosses protecting their turf.

  19. Problem

    C. Mark and His Unfinished Essay. time limit per test. 2 seconds. memory limit per test. 256 megabytes. input. standard input. output. standard output. One night, Mark realized that there is an essay due tomorrow. He hasn't written anything yet, so Mark decided to randomly copy-paste substrings from the prompt to make the essay. More formally ...

  20. Mark Henry Won't Re-Sign With AEW, Says He Is Not Leaving Pro ...

    Mark Henry says he's no longer going to be under contract with AEW, but he still has a bit more left in the tank. Last week, Henry a big announcement for Monday's episode of Busted Open. Henry ...

  21. Mark is typing up the final copy of his essay for class. He can type 20

    This question is based on the concept of division.Therefore, the 268 minutes he would be taken to finish typing his essay.. Given:. He can type 20 words per minute.. We need to determined the time it take Mark to finish typing his essay.. According to the question,. Let x be the number of minutes that he will take to type 5356 words.. It is given that, 20 words = 1 minute.