How To Start Writing As A Hobby? Let's Find Out!
Writing is a beautiful art form that allows you to express your thoughts, feelings, ideas, and emotions through words. Whether you want to improve your writing skills or find a fun way to let your creativity shine, writing as a hobby can be a fulfilling experience. If you're wondering how to start writing as a hobby? Let's find out together!
A creative writing hobby can be a great way to get your unique ideas and thoughts into words, unleash your imagination, and explore different perspectives through storytelling.
Whether writing a short story, poem, essay, or novel, creating something from scratch can be challenging and rewarding. It can help you develop your writing prowess and creativity, boost your confidence, and connect with others who share your passion.
While writing as a hobby may not necessarily lead to a career as a professional writer, it can improve your performance at school and work and provide a fantastic outlet for creativity.
So read on to find out exactly how to make writing a hobby!
I love to say: "My hobby is writing"! This is how I made Writing my hobby
My favourite hobby is writing, and I find it is one of the best pastimes I have ever had. I also pursued reading as a hobby , and as I continued, I began to feel the desire to write my own stories, essays, and blogs.
At first, I was hesitant to start because I thought I lacked the talent and skill required to make a piece of writing worth reading.
However, I soon realised that writing is not just for the experts but is something that anyone can enjoy and benefit from. And the more you write, the better your writing capabilities become !
Writing has become an essential part of my daily routine, and I make sure to set aside some time every day to work on my writing projects.
I enjoy the process of coming up with new ideas and finding the best way to express them. I like drafting outlines and crafting sentences that convey my thoughts and feelings most effectively.
Whether I am working on a short story, a personal essay, or a blog post, I find that writing helps me:
- clarify my thinking,
- organise my ideas, and
- express myself in a way that feels authentic.
Writing has also provided me with a sense of accomplishment and pride . When I finish a piece and read it over, I feel a deep sense of satisfaction knowing that I created something that is entirely my own.
Writing has helped me:
- develop my creativity,
- sharpen my critical thinking skills, and
- understand my mind better.
It has also allowed me to connect with other writers and readers who share my passion for storytelling.
I made many like-minded friends, some of who even wanted to become successful authors and are working on achieving their dreams. It's made me really inspired and grateful that I started this hobby!
Thus, writing as a hobby is an excellent way to explore your creativity, upgrade your writing skills, and express yourself in a way that is unique and personal.
There is always room to grow and learn as a writer, no matter how long you've been developing your writing forces for.
So, if you have been considering taking up writing as a hobby, I encourage you to get started today and see where it takes you!
Importance and benefits of writing and reading
Reading and writing are crucial skills that play a significant role in our personal, educational, and professional lives.
Below are some of the benefits of writing and reading and why they are so important:
- Communication: Writing is important for communication with others. Whether we want to express our thoughts, feelings, or ideas, we need to be able to write effectively to convey our message accurately.
- Personal Development: Reading can broaden our knowledge, understanding, and perspective on various subjects. It can also be a great way to learn about different cultures, experiences, and viewpoints that can make us become more well-rounded individuals.
- Academic Success: Reading and writing are fundamental skills in academics. It's essential to be able to read, comprehend and use information from textbooks, articles, and research papers to succeed in school. Additionally, writing is essential for accurately and concisely expressing what you have learnt.
- Career Advancement: Reading and writing are non-negotiable skills in most jobs. Whether it's writing emails, creating reports, or drafting proposals, effective writing skills are essential to convey ideas professionally and efficiently.
- Critical Thinking: Reading and writing also improve our critical thinking skills. When we read, we analyze information and form opinions. When we write, we must organise our thoughts and present them in a logical and coherent manner.
In summary, reading and writing are fundamental skills that greatly impact our personal and professional lives. You can read even more about the benefits of reading here.
DId you know? When writing non-fiction, you improve your skills in research; when enjoying a creative writing hobby, you develop your creativity; and when writing one daily journal, you find out who you truly are and what areas of your life you should work on.
Is writing a hobby?
Writing can be a hobby if you're consistent with it and enjoy it. You can write to express yourself or to improve your professional skills. Writing can be a fun and creative way to do this.
Writing can take many forms, such as:
- fictional stories,
- non-fiction essays,
- blogging, or
- writing in a personal diary.
Some people also enjoy participating in writing communities, writing competitions , challenges or writing classes to share their work and receive feedback from others.
Whether it's for personal enjoyment or to pursue a career as a writer, writing can be a fulfilling and enjoyable hobby.
So, if you're looking for a fun and rewarding creative hobby, consider taking up writing!
Is writing a good hobby?
Yes, writing can be a good hobby for many reasons:
Firstly, it's a way that allows you to express yourself in a creative way , which can be very fulfilling. Whether you're a busy writer writing fiction, poetry, or personal essays, you can explore your thoughts, feelings, and ideas on paper.
Secondly, writing can help you improve your communication skills . By practising writing regularly, you can learn how to articulate your thoughts more clearly and effectively, which can benefit you in both personally and professionally.
Finally, writing can be a great way to relieve stress and boost your mental health. Research has shown that expressive writing can help reduce anxiety, depression, and other negative emotions.
Overall, writing as a new hobby can be very rewarding and enjoyable, and I would encourage anyone interested to try it!
How to start writing as a hobby
To know where to begin writing as a hobby, take the following steps:
- Choose a topic or genre that interests you: Think about what types of writing you enjoy reading and what topics you are passionate about. It could be a genre of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, or even journaling. This will help you stay motivated and engaged with your writing.
- Create a writing space: It's important to have a dedicated space for writing where you feel comfortable and inspired. This could be a quiet corner of your home or a local coffee shop. Make sure it's a place where you can focus and avoid distractions.
- Gather your writing tools: Make sure that you have a notebook and a couple of pens or a laptop if you prefer typing. You might like to purchase a notebook with a pretty cover or some stickers to decorate your laptop, so you can be more motivated and write for fun.
- Set aside time to write regularly: Schedule regular writing sessions in your calendar, even if it's just for a few minutes each day. Make it a priority and stick to your schedule if you want to improve your writing and/or turn it into a hobby.
- Experiment with different writing styles: Don't be afraid to try new things and experiment with different types of writing. You may discover a new passion for poetry or find that you love writing short stories. Also, don't shy away from genres you have never written before - it's a great way to exercise your creativity and imagination!
- Find a writing community: Join a writing course or community where you can share your work, get feedback, and connect with others for whom writing is a hobby. This can be a great way to stay motivated and learn from others. In fact, some writing groups meet regularly to share what they're working on - this will keep you accountable and ensure you write regularly.
Remember to write for fun first, instead of writing what everyone else is or what others are telling you to.
Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be perfect. Just start writing as a hobby and let your creativity flow.
With time, your skills will improve, and maybe you could become a successful professional writer one day!
How to develop writing as a hobby
To develop writing as a hobby, some tips to get started are:
- Start with short writing exercises: Begin by writing short pieces of prose or poetry. Try to experiment with different styles and techniques. You can use writing prompts or try writing about a particular topic or theme.
- Read widely: Reading is an essential part of developing your writing skills. Read books, magazines, and online articles from various genres and authors to help you find your voice and style.
- Write every day: Consistency is key to developing any skill, including writing. Try to write something every day, even if it's just a few lines in a journal or a short blog post.
- Join a writing group near you: Joining a writing group can help you connect with other writers, receive feedback on your work, and improve your skills. Look for local writing groups or online communities.
- Attend writing courses and creative workshops: Attending writing courses or school holiday programs can provide valuable feedback, guidance, and inspiration. Look for writing workshops or courses in your local community or online.
- Set goals: Setting writing goals can help you stay motivated and focused. Decide on specific writing goals, such as writing a certain number of words or completing a short story, and work towards achieving them.
- Edit and revise: Editing and revising are important parts of the writing process. After you've written a piece, take the time to review it, make changes, and refine your work.
Remember that developing writing as a hobby is a process that takes time and practice. Keep writing, stay inspired, and enjoy the adventure!
You'll look back on your journey with many interesting works to read with pride and share with your friends and family.
Writing as a hobby ideas
A writing hobby can be a fun way to express yourself creatively. You can try many different things with it. Here are some ideas to start writing as a hobby.
- Start a blog: Blogging can be a great way to explore your interests and share your thoughts with the world. You could write about a specific topic or simply journal your experiences. You can even learn about SEO and affiliate marketing to turn your blog into a profitable side hustle!
- Write short stories : If you enjoy fiction, try your hand at writing short stories. You could experiment with different genres or focus on a particular theme.
- Keep a journal : Writing in a journal can be a therapeutic and reflective exercise that reveals more about yourself, your inner emotions and your desires. You could write about your daily life, dreams, aspirations, ideas, and creative process. It's a fun and rewarding way to relax and unwind regularly.
- Try poetry : Poetry can be a challenging but fun and rewarding form of writing. You could experiment with different forms and styles or focus on a particular subject or emotion. Your vocabulary can expand as you look for synonyms and words that rhyme with each other.
- Write fan fiction : If you're a fan of a particular TV show, movie, or book series, why not try writing your own fan fiction? You could explore alternate plot lines or delve deeper into different characters' lives. You can even come up with a prequel or sequel to your favourite stories.
- Start a book : If you have an interesting story to tell, consider writing a book. Choose from many types of writing genres, such as romance, sci-fi, historical fiction and more. Or, you could even write a memoir about your own life experiences or a biography about someone you admire.
- Write a script or screenplay : If you love movies or plays, try your hand at writing a script or screenplay. You could adapt a book, come up with a sequel or prequel, or turn a historical event into an exciting play or movie plot. Alternatively, you can come up with your own completely original story!
- Experiment with different styles : Don't be afraid to try different styles of writing. You could try to write stories in a different tense, experiment with different points of view, or even write in a different language. This can help you discover your unique writer's voice and a way to tell stories.
- Write essays on your favourite topics : If you're at school or university, writing essays is a key part of your studies. If you don't think you're a great academic writer, consider writing your hobby where you improve your academic writing abilities through regular practice. Choose topics and prompts that interest you to make writing more enjoyable.
- Participate in writing challenges : There are many writing competitions online , from NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) to flash fiction challenges. Participating in these challenges can help you stay motivated and improve your writing skills.
- Collaborate with other writers : Writing doesn't have to be done alone. You can collaborate on a project with other writers, such as a co-authored book or blog. You can also share your writing with others for feedback and advice.
- Join writing courses near you : Writing courses can be particularly helpful for beginners or young writers. You can join writing classes in your area during the next Australian school holidays . A writing course can help you learn about the basics of story structure, character development, dialogue, and more. Also, feedback that you receive from your tutor can help you improve your writing skills.
- Join writing courses online : If you want to improve your writing skills and learn how to write stories that capture readers' attention, you can take a creative writing course online.
✨ Master the art of storytelling ✨ Masterclass has created a great creative writing course where the renowned Margaret Atwood, the author of The Handmaid's Tale, teaches how to write compelling, descriptive and engaging stories that make readers want to keep reading. Check it out!
A creative writing hobby can take many different forms. For example, you can write short stories, novels or poems.
You can practice writing essays to improve your skills for school. Or, you can learn more about your inner self through journalling or keeping a diary.
Overall, writing is a fun, rewarding hobby and gives you infinite creative freedom.
Will writing become obsolete?
While it's difficult to predict the future with certainty, it seems unlikely that writing will become completely obsolete.
Writing has been a fundamental human communication and record-keeping tool for thousands of years. Even though there are new technologies and ways to communicate, writing is still important for sharing information and ideas.
In fact, writing has only become more important in the digital age as we communicate more frequently and across greater distances than ever before.
While technologies like voice recognition and artificial intelligence (AI) may reduce the need for some types of writing, humans will likely need to write, communicate complex ideas, create narratives, and record information for future generations.
Furthermore, writing has a cultural and artistic value that will probably stay important for a long time. Whether in the form of novels, poetry, or essays, writing has the power to inspire, challenge, and provoke thought in ways that other communication forms cannot.
Overall, while writing may evolve and adapt to new technologies and communication methods, it seems unlikely that it will become obsolete anytime soon.
In summary, writing as a hobby can be a wonderful activity for tweens, teenagers and adults who enjoy expressing themselves creatively, especially through writing.
A writing hobby, like journaling, blogging, and writing poems or short stories, can help improve your communication skills, make you more creative, allow you to express yourself, and even help you do better at school or work.
In addition, writing is a hobby that can provide a sense of pride and accomplishment and an opportunity to connect with others who share similar interests.
So why not give writing a go today?
Our website is supported by you, our reader! Sometimes, we may earn small affiliate commission when you click through the affiliate links on this page and buy something. If you have any question, please get in touch with us .
Please note that the images in this article were generated by Midjourney. The images are for illustrative purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional advice or judgment.
Sources and inspiration:
- National Library of Medicine . Andrea N. Niles, MA,corresponding author Kate E. Haltom, BA, Catherine M. Mulvenna, Ph.D, Matthew D. Lieberman, Ph.D, and Annette L. Stanton, Ph.D: "Effects of Expressive Writing on Psychological and Physical Health"
- Celtxblog : Writing as a Hobby: Tips and Advice for Beginners
- Brilliantio : Writing as a Hobby
- Writer Wiki : How to Start Writing as a Hobby: 10 Tips to Help You Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions
A Melbourne mum & wife who loves travel, Elena enjoys sharing the best things to do with kids of all ages & abilities on weekends & holidays, helping families create more wonderful memories together.
Recommended for you
Writing as a Hobby: Tips and Advice for Beginners
We all need a way to express ourselves whether that be through a creative outlet like art or fashion. For others, it’s writing.
Creative writing allows self-expression, investigating varied worlds and characters, and serves as an escape from daily life. Writing as a hobby is not exclusive to just novelists and poets; anyone can participate as writing stories, articles, or keeping a journal presents a fulfilling opportunity to make the most of your downtime.
Now perhaps you’re just starting out on your writing journey, or you’re stuck on where to begin and are wondering, how do you start writing as a hobby?
Allow us to help – read on and find out more!
Is Writing a Good Hobby?
Writing is an art form that can be shared with others or kept totally private. It’s a way to escape the real world and make sense of it. Writing can allow you to relax and take stock away from your hectic modern lifestyle.
It’s completely free! All you need is some form of paper and a pen, your phone, or a word processor on your computer. Your imagination is the only thing that limits you from every possibility.
When we think of writing, we may think firstly of authors or journalists who are under pressure to meet deadlines and demands from editors. However, writing as a hobby comes with none of those pressures. You are free to work at your own pace, and however, you like.
Remember, creativity and self-expression have no rules. You are free to experiment with the genres you love, and come up with completely new ideas. Once you’ve written these down, they are there forever for you to look back on and cherish.
Celtx is a powerful and versatile screenwriting software that can help you take your writing hobby to the next level. With its intuitive interface and wide range of tools, Celtx makes it easy to organize your ideas, format your script, and collaborate with others. Try Celtx Today for FREE .
Tips for How to Start Writing as a Hobby
1. set up a comfortable writing space.
A hobby is meant to be enjoyable, right? So, it makes sense for the space you dedicate to that hobby to be comfortable. Dedicate a surface in your home, whether that be a desk space or your kitchen table. Grab yourself a comfy chair and a hot drink and get cozy!
Or perhaps you prefer to get outside. Find the perfect spot in your local park or your favorite coffee shop. Find somewhere that provides the inspiration you need.
It’s also great to switch up your workspace. This can spark inspiration if you’re struggling for ideas. People watching, a new space and a different atmosphere can work wonders!
2. Remove Distractions
To make the most of your writing time, it’s important to set out a routine that works for you. Set aside time once a day or even once a week to sit down and write. This will keep you accountable for your new hobby.
Your writing time should also be a time away from the world where you can focus on yourself and your work. As we mentioned above, get yourself comfortable, and remove your phone or any other distractions.
3. Read as Much As You Can
Reading and writing are each other’s bread and butter. You won’t get one without the other.
Read books, magazines, screenplays, poetry, and blogs. If you expose yourself to a diverse range of writing, the more you’ll understand how that writing is structured and how to get the most out of your own work.
The benefits of reading include learning about the plot, characters, world-building and style, as well as how to engage a reader.
4. Experiment with Different Mediums
You may have your heart set on writing a particular format of writing. But even as a budding author or poet, it can be useful to experiment with other mediums.
Instead of diving straight into writing a novel, why not start with a short story?
By starting small, you’ll be able to quickly identify what you love about your writing and where you’d like to improve. You’ll also feel that sense of accomplishment a lot quicker.
Want to write a screenplay? Start by writing a short film , before moving on to a feature.
Keen on poetry? Start with a haiku before moving on to your epic poem!
What if you’re not sure which type of writer you’d like to be? You don’t have an idea for a story just yet? Why not start journalling or blogging? Journalling is a fantastic first step, jotting down the events of your day or your inner thoughts.
As you continue to write, your journal entries or blog posts could then spark inspiration for a future novel or script!
Of course, you do not have to share your work with the world. The beauty of writing is that you can keep it just for yourself or share it when you’re ready.
Remember, you don’t have to stick to one particular medium. Try as many as you like!
5. Join a Writing Group
If you’d like to be held accountable for your writing or are open to receiving feedback on your work, joining a local group could help you along your way.
Writing groups are a priceless opportunity to meet fellow writers from different backgrounds and with diverse interests.
Google will be your best friend in finding such groups. Just type in your location and then ‘writing groups’. Facebook is also a brilliant resource for connecting with other writers in your local area and many groups will have dedicated pages there.
6. Just Start Writing
This may seem like a pretty straightforward answer, but it is very easy to talk yourself out of writing. This could be for fear of not having any ideas, struggling to get your ideas down on paper, or your writing not turning out how you first imagined.
But the danger with this is that you’ll never get started. If it’s inspiration you need, you can find it anywhere: through your day-to-day life, through your favorite book, TV show or movie. Turn an existing story on its head or tell the story of a minor character from an existing IP.
The Benefits of Writing for Fun
Organize thoughts and ideas
Especially in modern society, we have a lot to think about. Writing can be a great tool to help us organize our thoughts or see the world through a different lens.
Many writers find they make sense of the world around them through their work. It forces them to be creative and connect ideas together. This is something you can do too!
As you begin to connect ideas and stories together, you will discover new perspectives. This can support you in becoming a better communicator all around, as you’ll be more aware of the range of lenses others see the world through.
With this new awareness, comes a better understanding.
Writing gives us the time and space to make sense of the world around us, as well as our own minds.
You can understand much about yourself and your thought processes by reflecting on what you’ve written, it’s all there in black and white. Our writing can reveal more about ourselves than we first thought or ever considered before.
Once you have honed your writing skills, you may wish to research selling your work. Whether you’ve written blog posts, a novel or a screenplay, there are countless avenues you can explore.
If you are looking to pursue a writing career or to sell your work, make sure you have a strong portfolio to draw from. You’ll also need to revisit and revise your work to make sure it’s the best it can possibly be.
Related Celtx Blog: How Much To Charge to Write a Script [By Script Type]
Promote yourself on social media or seek representation from a literary agent. Or perhaps you want to start a blog to share your work and attract businesses to sponsor you or advertise on your site.
You can also apply to writer positions such as copy or content writers, or perhaps you’d like to go freelance on a platform like Fiverr. There are so many opportunities ready and waiting!
Helpful Writing Tools
Dedicated pen and paper.
Ready yourself a notebook and pen specifically for your writing. That way everything is in one place and easily accessible. If you prefer to write on different pieces of paper, find a file or folder to keep everything in.
If you prefer to use technology, create a specific folder on your computer to store all your files in. Use free writing tools like Google Docs to write with or purchase a word processor like Microsoft Word.
If like us, screenplays are your speciality, try out a screenwriting software !
Nothing should stop you from being your most creative self. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and formatting can be a frustrating part of writing, so make sure to utilize online and downloadable tools, many of which are free or have free account options!
Here are some of our recommendations:
- Celtx Screenwriting Software (for the screenwriters!)
- Grammarly (spelling and grammar check program)
- Clippings.me (a portfolio to share your work with the world)
- Google Docs (free word processing tool)
- Google Drive (free cloud-based storage solution for your writing files)
- Stayfocsd ( Chrome extension to keep you, well, focused!)
There we have it! We hope we’ve opened your eyes to the joys and benefits of writing as a hobby. The most important thing is to get started and let your imagination lead the way.
Well, what are you waiting for?
Natasha is a UK-based freelance screenwriter and script editor with a love for sci-fi. In 2022 she recently placed in the Screenwriters' Network Short Film Screenplay Competition and the Golden Short Film Festivals. When not at her desk, you'll find her at the theater, or walking around the English countryside (even in the notorious British weather)
View all posts
You may also like
Let celtx help you write your next sceenplay, celtx vs. final draft | features, pros, and..., how to format your screenplay title page [5..., screenwriter | understanding the role and job description, what are parentheticals [when, how and where to..., what is a montage a complete overview [video....
Hobbies, list from A to Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Creative Writing as a Hobby is an Absorbing and a Liberating Experience
Everyone has a novel in them - very rightly said. Creative writing is one of the most enjoyable activities that you can have and not necessarily aspire to achieve overnight publishing success!
Finding your creative outlet is reason enough to pursue a hobby as a creative writer. There are many reasons why you should put value in the ability of expressing thoughts and feelings through words. With a creative writing hobby, you get a sense of well being. Why do you need to write? Not everyone can openly express and voice their opinions. It is very comforting when you can write about it all. In fact, there's nothing wrong in writing what your creative bend of mind is thinking.
The age old tradition of journaling is still very much used and is a rewarding experience. Your life and things that concern you is a story that must be penned down.
Everyone's journey is different and interesting too! So, write it down and allow yourself that great release with this incredible therapy. Family history writing is also a good reason why people write creatively. Many people with the urge to know more about their family and the history associated with each member has been a practice for centuries. Even the earliest of civilizations used to write creatively, and perhaps is still one of the best things in life. There is a popular television show also "Who do you think you are" that lets viewers see the family history of celebrities. First rule of creative writing: Just write! Quite simply, many people who think about pursuing a creative writing hobby, spend too much time thinking about it. To start, make a note of the things you see, your thoughts, people you meet, and keep a record of snippets of conversations. A habit of taking note of anything and everything is very rewarding for the creative writer to flex the muscles of creativity! Set aside time to consider your thoughts on the materials that you have gathered and write using the information. Choosing to research on a particular topic that you find interesting is also a great way to get your creative juices flowing.
If at all you can't think of anything, just look outside your room window or set out on a journey, record your experiences. Write anything at all to give you the natural flow of words. By knowing your thoughts and giving words to them you will have the best idea of the story you want to create. Is creative writing a serious pursuit? When creative writing becomes a hobby you want to explore more, you can continue to write and publish your content. Plan, experiment and enjoy by exploring new ideas to express your creativity.
If your experience is enjoyable, it obviously makes a huge difference to what you write. And finally, write regularly. A form of creativity needs to be a habit for you to truly reach your potential. Pick a regular time for you to sit and collect your thoughts first before writing.
If you stick to this process for two weeks, you will surely see a huge improvement in your creative writing flow and style. Write more - the more you write, the richer will be your creativity. Learn in which ways you write more effectively that motivates you to try the next.
Related hobbies: Calligraphy , Writing , Do it yourself
Unique hobbies - How to find one to fit your personality?
The best hobbies for men, women,couples and teens
How hobbies can help to impact work performance at school?
2000+ Hobbies from A to Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Get your Romance Reading Journal at 50% off for a limited time only!
5 Steps On How To Start Writing (As A Hobby)
This blog post contains affiliate links, no extra cost to you, thank you for your support!
Table of Contents
If you’re looking for tips on how to start writing as a hobby, you’ve come to the right place.
Many of us feel pressured to start something and make money right away from it.
Instead, we should start by making it a hobby, truly enjoy it, enhance the skill and then market it as a service – this is something I did for years.
Writing has always been a hobby to me, it was also one of the hobbies that helped me with my mental health.
Whether you’re trying to become a freelance writer or author, you first need to make writing a hobby you enjoy.
So how do you start writing for fun? You’ll find out in this article!
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. This is NO EXTRA COST to you. Thank you for supporting my blog and I hope it helps you in your writer’s journey.
How To Become A Freelance Writer With No Experience (The Guide I Wish I Had)
Freelance writing for beginners: no investment needed, is writing a hobby.
While some people might find writing a chore, some people actually enjoy it and do it for fun. Writing is a hobby to many.
There is no pressure to be a writer that monetizes their content. You can always be a writer just for the fun of it.
5 Steps On How To Start Writing As A Hobby.
Read More Books
As cliche as it sounds, if you want to start writing, you’ll need to read more books. This is because reading helps you understand how to string words.
They also help you learn new words and strengthen your vocabulary.
If you want to write stories as a hobby, reading books can help you with your imagination, plot and character building.
And if you want to write more poetry, reading other poet’s works may help inspire you.
Reading and writing definitely goes hand in hand. You won’t be able to avoid one or another.
Related Article: Reading More Than One Book At A Time: Pros and Cons To Weigh
Set A Time To Write
If you want to start writing as a hobby, you’ll first have to make it a habit. Easiest way to make it a habit is to fit it into a routine.
This is something I’ve learned from James Clear’s Atomic Habits book .
Set a designated time to write. For example, after you have your morning coffee, before doing any work at your job, take 15 minutes to journal. This is also called habit stacking (mentioned in Atomic Habits as a way to build multiple habits)
Related: 30 Note-Worthy Atomic Habits Quotes By James Clear
Try Different Types Of Writing
There are many different ways to start writing as a hobby.
Some of them are:
- Journaling (recording parts of your day in a journal, or writing about certain favourite things, feelings that arise, and more. There’s many ways to journal)
- Blog Writing (you can start a blog as a hobby and later decide if you want to make money from it)
- Social Media Content Writing (writing and posting for yourself on Instagram, Linkedin and other platforms to share your thoughts and experiences)
- Story Telling (writing a short story or a novel just because you have an idea or imagination you want to bring to live)
- Poetry Writing
There are many more types of writing you can explore when you first start treating writing as a hobby.
Take Writing Courses
Here me out, I’m not asking you to take courses to improve your writing and ultimately monetize your work.
I am asking you to be open to the idea of learning how to write from experts. You don’t need to take a course to learn something and make a monetary return from it.
You can do the course as it is, just take the knowledge and guidance from an expert to teach you how to write better because you simply enjoy writing!
Some writing courses that I’ve taken to improve my writing:
- Come Write With Us (this also comes with a facebook group, great support for writers)
- Freelance Blogging Course
- Writer’s Website In A Weekend
Join Writing Groups
Joining writing groups or following writing blogs can help you with being accountable.
You can meet writers of different backgrounds and interests which may help you grow as a writer.
Some writing groups to network with other writers:
- Writers Helping Writers
- Writers Group
- Words Work Creative Writers
- Southeast Asian Writers & Poets
There are many writer facebook groups. Just type in the word “writer (your country)” and you should find some writing groups based on your location.
Some of my favourite writing blogs:
- Come Write With Us
Benefits Of Writing As A Hobby.
Now that you know how to start writing as a hobby, let’s take a look at some of the benefits from writing for fun/yourself.
Expands Your Vocabulary
No matter what language you write in, writing helps improve your command of the language you’re writing in.
Writing gives you the opportunity to look inwards. Journaling is a way to explore emotions within yourself that does not usually arise (or you suppress them due to painful events/not having time to acknowledge these emotions).
You Can Monetize Your Writing In The Future
While writing may just be a hobby you’re interested in starting or you’re someone who already regularly writes for the fun of it, you can monetize your writing skills in the long-run.
Writing is a skill in demand for many different types of business.
Digital marketing is soaring and content marketing is huge. Your writing that was once a hobby can be turned into a copywriting or content writing job.
Besides, being an author or poet is also something you can consider if you love creative writing.
Related: How To Become A Freelance Writer With No Experience (The Guide I Wish I Had)
Writing Can Help You Make Better Decisions
Literally, about anything.
Writing down how you feel gives you a clearer insight of the situation. When you’re caught between two options, writing down a pros and cons list will help.
This has always helped me make a satisfying decision
Final Thoughts On Writing As A Hobby
Writing is a hobby that has to be something you want to genuinely do. Not everyone can be a writer because not everyone WANTS to be a writer.
As long as you want it, you can do it.
No matter how good or poor your writing is, a hobby is a hobby and do not let the fear of not knowing if your work is good enough stop you from doing what you truly enjoy.
This blog post contains affiliate links, no extra cost to you, thank you for your support! How To Become A Freelance Writer With No Experience (The Guide I Wish I Had) Once, I was just like you – googling on how to become a freelance writer with no experience. I wanted to become a freelance…
This blog post contains affiliate links, no extra cost to you, thank you for your support!Freelance Writing For Beginners: No Investment Needed! Want to start freelance writing? Freelance writing for beginners does not need to cost you a bomb. You do not necessarily need to invest in the most expensive writing course out there or…
- Skip to primary navigation
- Skip to main content
- Skip to footer
EDUInput- An online learning platform for Mcat, JEE, NEET and UPSC students.
An online learning platform for Mcat, JEE, NEET and UPSC students
Why Choose Creative Writing as a Hobby?
We cannot think of a single person who hasn’t had the passion to write something, but it is not possible to imagine someone who can write something creative without even making a conscious effort.
Creative writing as a hobby is the most popular among all students. It is not only because of its popularity but also because of the benefits it provides.
Creative writing is an amazing hobby that not only gives you immense pleasure but also helps you to develop your imagination, creativity, and language skills.
If you are wondering about the benefits of creative writing as a hobby then read the below-mentioned points carefully.
Enhances your language skills
The very first benefit of creative writing is the fact that it makes you speak and write in the most effective and beautiful way. It will help you to develop your language skills and you will become an excellent speaker.
You will develop your imagination skills
Creative writing is also the perfect hobby to develop imagination. If you are struggling to develop your imagination, then writing is a perfect way.
Writing your ideas and thoughts is the best way to come up with the most creative ideas and thoughts. It will help you to understand your imagination and thoughts in a better way.
Helps you to be free from boredom
Creative writing is a great hobby to pass your time when you are bored. It will give you a sense of happiness and freedom. The best part of it is that you can write anything you want to write.
This is one of the best hobbies for students as they can write anything they like. If you are into music, you can write songs or if you are into reading, then you can write stories or poems.
Creative writing is a hobby that not only enhances your vocabulary but also gives you a good sense of peace. Students should consider it as the perfect hobby for their education.
5 Professional qualities of a good teacher
How to Make Notes from the Textbook?
The Future of Vocational Education
How Physics Is Related With Biology?
Leave a reply cancel reply.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Get updates about new courses
9th Class 10th Class 11 Class 12 Class
How to Start Writing as a Hobby: 10 Tips to Help You Get Started
Do you have a story to tell or a message you want to share? Maybe you’ve always wanted to write a book but don’t know where to start. Well, you’re in luck! This blog post will give you ten tips that will help you get started writing as a hobby. Writing can be a great way to express yourself and connect with others, and it can also be a lot of fun! So what are you waiting for? Start writing today!
How do I start writing as a hobby if I’ve never done it before?
Starting a writing hobby can seem daunting if you’ve never written before. However, it’s quite easy to get started – all you need is a pen and paper (or a laptop, if you prefer typing).
First, figure out what you want to write about. What are your interests? What do you want to share with the world? It could be anything from your favorite childhood memories to your thoughts on current affairs.
Once you’ve chosen a topic , the next step is to put your thoughts down on paper (or screen). Don’t worry too much about grammar or punctuation at this stage – write down whatever comes into your head.
Once you’ve got some material written, you can start to edit and polish it. This is the fun part, where you get to be creative and make your piece of writing your own.
There are no rules for writing, so feel free to experiment with different styles and formats. You might even want to try writing in a completely different genre to what you normally read.
Another great way to improve your writing is to read often. When you read, please pay attention to the author’s style and how they use words to tell their story . This will help you when you start writing your own stories. Reading also helps expand your vocabulary, making your writing more interesting.
The most important thing is to enjoy yourself and have fun! Writing should be an enjoyable experience, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Just take it one step at a time and see where your writing takes you.
What are the benefits of writing as a hobby?
There are many benefits to writing as a hobby, including:
- It’s a great way to express yourself.
- Writing can help you work through problems you’re having in your life.
- It’s a fun and creative way to avoid boredom.
- Many people find writing therapeutic and calming.
- Writing can also be a great way to connect with others who share your interests.
- You can earn money from writing if you choose to pursue it as a career.
Whatever your reason for wanting to start writing, there are many benefits to this hobby. So go ahead and give it a try! You might find that you enjoy it more than you thought.
What should I write about if I’m not sure where to start?
It can be tough to know where to begin if you’re starting as a writer. Should you focus on fiction or non-fiction? Should you write short stories or essays?
The good news is, there’s no single “right” answer to these questions, and the most important thing is to start writing and to keep at it. With that said, there are a few things that first-time writersmight want to keep in mind.
If you’re not sure what to write about, a great place to start is through journaling. This can be a great way to get your thoughts down on paper and practice your writing skills. Write about your day-to-day experiences, thoughts and feelings, and anything else on your mind.
As you create journal entries regularly, you’ll start to develop your unique voice and style. You can branch out and try writing other things, such as essays, short stories, or even poems. The important thing is to keep writing and see where it takes you!
If you’re not sure what topic to pick, why not try writing about your hobbies or interests? For example, if you like baking, you could write a blog post about your favorite recipes. Or if you’re interested in fashion, you could write an article about the latest trends.
Another option is to write about something that’s happening in your life. This could be anything from a new job to a recent holiday. Writing about your personal experiences can be a great way to connect with others and share your thoughts and feelings.
If you’re still struggling to develop ideas, try doing some free writing. This is where you write down whatever comes into your head without stopping to edit or worry about grammar. This can be a great way to get your creative juices flowing and help you develop ideas for your next piece of writing.
Begin writing short stories if you’re looking for a creative outlet. Consider a topic or genre that appeals to you, and begin developing story ideas. Once you have a few ideas, start fleshing out the details and see where the story takes you. There’s no right or wrong way to approach writing, so go with what feels natural for you. The most important thing is enjoying the process and letting your creativity flow.
How can I make my writing more interesting and engaging for others to read?
This is a great question and one that all writers should ask themselves. No matter what your writing goals are-whether you want to write for fun or profit-making your work more interesting is key to engaging readers.
Here are a few tips to make your writing more interesting:
- Use strong verbs. Verbs are the action words in a sentence, and using strong, precise verbs can liven up your writing. For example, instead of saying, “I walked to the store,” you could say, “I trudged to the store.”
- Choose specific nouns. Nouns are a sentence’s people, places, things, or ideas. Using more specific nouns can help your writing feel more vivid and interesting. For example, instead of “I went to the store,” you could say, “I went to Walmart.”
- Add sensory details. When you’re writing, try to include as many senses as possible. This will make your writing more immersive and interesting for readers. For example, instead of “The flowers were pretty,” you could say, “The flowers were beautiful and fragrant.”
- Join a writing group: There are writing groups for writers, from novelists to poets to non-fiction writers. Joining a writing group can help you find feedback and support during the writing process.
- Take a writing class: If you’re looking for more structure, taking a writing class can be a great way to improve your skills. Many community colleges offer writing classes, as well as online courses.
- Set a goal: Having a goal in mind, whether writing a certain number of words per day or finishing the first draft by a certain date-can, help you stay motivated and on track.
- Find your voice: As you write, try to find your unique voice. This will make your writing more memorable and enjoyable for readers.
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment with your writing. Try new things and see what works for you.
- Have fun: Writing should be enjoyable, so make sure to balance challenging yourself and having fun. If you’re not enjoying the process, it’ll be reflected in your work.
These are just a few tips to help you start writing as a hobby. Don’t be afraid to explore and experiment. That’s part of the fun! And, most importantly, write because you enjoy it. If you’re having fun, your readers will too.
10 Tips To Get Started With Writing as a Hobby
Writing as hobbies is one way to start writing; you can do it at home or outdoors on the computer. It’s very creative and fun! Engaging in a hobby helps improve your productivity level. You can even become good at writing by picking up a few freelance writing jobs.
To help you get started with full motivation and passion, we’ve enlisted the top 10 tips to begin writing as a hobby below!
1 – Start A Blog
The blog is a simple yet powerful tool to share your writing with others, and it also acts as a guide on how to write well and at the same time be creative. A proper blog will help you promote your piece and provide content that can be used as material for a book. All blogs are listed on the internet, and so they become easy sources of promotion once books or essays get published.
2 – Select The Right Medium
Everything You Need to Know About How To Be A Great Writer. Find out what makes great writing unbuyable! Use Twitter; Facebook; Google+ ; Pinterest. Ask and Receive
Find out how to manage your writer’s block; recognize when you don’t know what you’re writing about or describing, learn the writing tips that make a good book readable, use proper word spacing and punctuation while reading so as not to confuse readers. Many writers go through many drafts before they can publish their work successfully!
3 – Choose A Comfortable Space to Write
A computer allows you to pick up and write wherever you are! It doesn’t matter. You need a comfortable space, meaning somewhere quiet, so that reading or thinking can go on in your mind without being disturbed any time of the day/night. Even someone as busy as me finds one hour’s free time will help with initial planning and even terminology writing if it is done at night while drifting off into sleep; maybe another reason you may develop the habit of writing at night before going to sleep.
4 – Start From Short Stories or Poems
Try writing poetry first or even quotes. These are usually written down in some prose second, which is one reason you should write down your words the night before without fail, putting at least a few sentences/words as clues to quote ideas based on something with an ethereal feeling (the abstract) while also using previous literary references that can be continued later. Then start composing a narrative and going back to previous lines, then create a consistent pace through the story where all details are equally important.
5 – Learn Vocabulary Daily
This is a very important element in creative writing where word usage and depiction of things around you are key to forming new concepts into readers’ minds from words they’ve experienced through reading.
Vocabulary building is the key to success in writing. Language can be understood by only a few people, while others don’t even know it exists. A large vocabulary will always help you feel confident with your language skills and expression ability because of its greater use as you write more creatively and express yourself effectively as an author under different situations. It also helps writers find new words that they haven’t used before or never thought about before, which makes them sound smart when expressed on paper through their work.
6 – Write With Purpose – Activate Your Pen!
Nothing artificial or forced while learning tips, more often than not something natural like the “5 W’s” usually taught as follows any time someone explains anything: Where did it happen? Who was there, when did it happen? What was their reaction to the event they’ve encountered while writing or, in this case, answering any question that anyone may have as a reader? One of everyone’s goals every time they go through learning material is surely succeeded and enjoy succeeding at anything with purpose – Making progress towards success before you get bored/frustrated should be your number-one goal before quitting…
One secret most writers fail to take advantage of and then it becomes partly why some of them don’t even bother to write a single sentence and push start their laptops as if nothing existed other than opening files, typing words, then finding grammar-check/spell check/a few very redundant tools help writers attempt anymore.
So, set your purpose for writing every time you sit down at the computer.
7 – Get Inspiration From TV
It’s great to start writing as a hobby by telling you about the tv that inspires writers and why tv shows are important for artists. The tv may not only inspire us but also keep us entertained and inspired, which makes it very helpful in increasing our productivity level and reducing stress levels from work or other daily activities like school homework etc.
You can write down whatever ideas come your way while watching tv series or movies since they’re showing new material that you can use as inspiration for your writing project. So don’t hesitate the next time you see an episode of a new tv series, assume it to be one of their best and most enthusiastic campaigns they would ever do because you may end up using that valuable piece of material somehow in your articles/books or whatever your purpose is to write/publish on such platforms like books, etc.
8 – Start Communicating With Email
Your brain needs something to latch on and stick with, so you can start thinking about how the story will be organized and developed instead of writing it out piece by piece, just like if you were emailing some friends back home from an overseas vacation: one sentence at a time…
There are over 50 billion email messages sent in the world on any given day, and about 300 million messages are being written. The same useful strategy that you can use to start writing your book, article, or blog post applies equally well to communicating through email.
9 – Understand Your Writing Style
Writing as a hobby can be very rewarding, but writing also has challenges to fulfill. You must understand your writing style and write what inspires you rather than what “is supposed to” look like.
Creative writing means something different for everyone: it could mean poetry, short stories, or novels; the thing we love in creative writing is getting away from everyday life by immersing myself in an imaginary story world where we can see everything happening around me.
10 – Reduce or Eliminate Distractions
Social media can be a real distraction while writing. You don’t have to quit social media completely, though; you could block social media like it is done in some professions. Put a lot of self-imposed rules and restrictions on your social media platforms or stay quiet during working hours. Failing at something is frustrating, but when you fail, it allows you to improve (you have one more opportunity.
Writing can be a great hobby if you’re willing to put in the effort. Following the ten practical tips mentioned in this blog can smoothly help you get started on your writing journey. Do you have any feedback or advice to share? Let us know in the comments below!
Most Read Articles in 2023:
Hi, I am a doctor by profession, but I love writing and publishing ebooks. I have self-published 3 ebooks which have sold over 100,000 copies. I am featured in Healthline, Entrepreneur, and in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology blog.
Whether you’re a busy professional or an aspiring author with a day job, there’s no time like now to start publishing your ebook! If you are new to this world or if you are seeking help because your book isn’t selling as well as it should be – don’t worry! You can find here resources, tips, and tricks on what works best and what doesn’t work at all.
In this blog, I will help you to pick up the right tools and resources to make your ebook a best seller.
4 thoughts on “How to Start Writing as a Hobby: 10 Tips to Help You Get Started”
Thank you. you have inspired me to start giving writing a serious thought! Bola
I’m so glad to hear that! Writing is an incredibly powerful tool and I’m glad I could be of help. Best of luck in your writing journey!
You are fine and doing well.
What is the sponsor post price of this site https://www.writerwiki.com/ ?
Please let me know all the details .
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Hi Ribka, Thank you for reaching out to us at Writerwiki. We appreciate your interest in partnering with us to promote your content. Regarding your inquiry, we do offer sponsored posts and link placement on our website. Our pricing for these services is as follows: $20 for placing links in existing articles of our website. $50 for sponsored posts, if you provide the article (1500 words). $75 for sponsored posts, if you want our experts to write the article.
Please contact me at [email protected] for further discussion
Leave a Comment Cancel reply
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
- EXPLORE Coupons Tech Help Pro Random Article About Us Quizzes Request a New Article Community Dashboard This Or That Game Popular Categories Arts and Entertainment Artwork Books Movies Computers and Electronics Computers Phone Skills Technology Hacks Health Men's Health Mental Health Women's Health Relationships Dating Love Relationship Issues Hobbies and Crafts Crafts Drawing Games Education & Communication Communication Skills Personal Development Studying Personal Care and Style Fashion Hair Care Personal Hygiene Youth Personal Care School Stuff Dating All Categories Arts and Entertainment Finance and Business Home and Garden Relationship Quizzes Cars & Other Vehicles Food and Entertaining Personal Care and Style Sports and Fitness Computers and Electronics Health Pets and Animals Travel Education & Communication Hobbies and Crafts Philosophy and Religion Work World Family Life Holidays and Traditions Relationships Youth
- EDIT Edit this Article
- PRO Courses Guides New Tech Help Pro Expert Videos About wikiHow Pro Upgrade Sign In
- Browse Articles
- Learn Something New
- This Or That Game New
- Train Your Brain
- Explore More
- Support wikiHow
- About wikiHow
- H&M Coupons
- Hotwire Promo Codes
- StubHub Discount Codes
- Ashley Furniture Coupons
- Blue Nile Promo Codes
- NordVPN Coupons
- Samsung Promo Codes
- Chewy Promo Codes
- Ulta Coupons
- Vistaprint Promo Codes
- Shutterfly Promo Codes
- DoorDash Promo Codes
- Office Depot Coupons
- adidas Promo Codes
- Home Depot Coupons
- DSW Coupons
- Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons
- Lowe's Coupons
- Surfshark Coupons
- Nordstrom Coupons
- Walmart Promo Codes
- Dick's Sporting Goods Coupons
- Fanatics Coupons
- Edible Arrangements Coupons
- eBay Coupons
- Log in / Sign up
- Education and Communications
How to Make Writing One of Your Favorite Hobbies
Last Updated: February 20, 2022 Approved
wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 9 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 93% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 57,036 times. Learn more...
Turning writing into a hobby takes determination. It may not seem so, but making time to write, finding things to write about and then remaining dedicated to seeing the entire piece through to its endpoint requires planning and self-discipline. Nevertheless, it's a great hobby to have and definitely worthwhile if you're keen to turn it into a favorite hobby.
Figuring Out Your Stationery Needs
- You could even try typing on an old typewriter if you'd like. Old typewriters can be found through online trade and auction sites. However, keep in mind if you choose this method that you'll also need a supply of typing ribbon and/or ink.
Finding Writing Inspiration
- Consider carrying a small notebook and pen or having a note-taking app on your smartphone. Having at least one of these with you wherever you go will help you record those ideas as they come to you.
- Consider keeping a Pinterest or similar account filled with your favorite images as you find them. Keep the board secret if you don't want to share your writing inspiration.
Writing as a Hobby
- Set aside time-slots during your week just for writing. Keep these times as much as possible, seeing them as important for your hobby.
- Don't underestimate your imagination and the passion you have for writing. It is endless, even though sometimes it may not feel this way. Thanks Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0
You Might Also Like
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/nov/03/creative-writing-better-pen-longhand
- ↑ https://www.huffpost.com/entry/8-steps-to-starting-a-wri_b_4724235
- ↑ https://medium.com/every-30-days/how-to-develop-a-daily-writing-habit-475732c2b026
- ↑ https://writingcooperative.com/how-to-just-write-c1e613f48171
About This Article
- Send fan mail to authors
Reader Success Stories
Aug 10, 2016
Did this article help you?
Jan 23, 2017
Mar 12, 2021
Dec 31, 2016
Aug 26, 2017
- Do Not Sell or Share My Info
- Not Selling Info
wikiHow Tech Help Pro:
Develop the tech skills you need for work and life