Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Sample
The resume builder.
Create a Resume in Minutes with Professional Resume Templates
- Assist Project Team by providing engineering design support (engineering reports, design calculations, quantity and cost estimates) for roadway, hydraulics, and civil engineering design projects
- Perform entry-level professional engineering work involving the application of standard techniques, procedures, and design criteria in carrying out routine engineering tasks through effective mentorship
- Be responsible for the preparation and production of reports, plans, specifications and estimates
- Be involved in all project aspects including design/study development and site/field visits during design and construction
- Capable of working independently or within a design team
- Excellent communication skills with project team, government agencies and clients
- Previous design experience on transportation projects
- Experience with design software including MicroStation
- Resolves a variety of complex problems (i.e. conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials, difficult coordination requirements)
- Knowledge of basic spreadsheet, database, word processing programs and basic computer operation
- Experience with computer assisted engineering and design software, preferably Autocad Civil 3D, MicroStation, Geopak and/or drainage calculation software
- One-two years’ industry experience in a design function
- Engineering in Training (EIT) license
- Commitment to long term employment in facility design engineering for water and wastewater treatment plants
- Experience with computer-assisted engineering and design software, preferably Autocad Civil 3D, MicroStation, Geopak and/or drainage calculation software
- Demonstrated experience using AutoCAD and/or Civil3D for civil engineering related projects including grading, roadway, stormwater, and pipe networks
- Demonstrated experience using AutoCAD and Civil3D for civil engineering related projects including grading, roadway, stormwater, and pipe networks
- Working under the guidance of an experienced engineer to provide civil engineering analysis and design
- Working experience in the Civil Engineering industry
- Previous engineering design or drafting work experience, especially if related to civil engineering or construction, is desirable
- Experience w/ multiple elements of highway design, including but not limited to the following are desirable
- Knowledge and / or experience in Oil & Gas related surveying/engineering
How to write Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
Entry Level Civil Engineer role is responsible for software, autocad, basic, government, modeling, design, database, gis, civil, travel. To write great resume for entry level civil engineer job, your resume must include:
- Your contact information
- Work experience
- Skill listing
Contact Information For Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
The section contact information is important in your entry level civil engineer resume. The recruiter has to be able to contact you ASAP if they like to offer you the job. This is why you need to provide your:
- First and last name
- Telephone number
Work Experience in Your Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
The section work experience is an essential part of your entry level civil engineer resume. It’s the one thing the recruiter really cares about and pays the most attention to. This section, however, is not just a list of your previous entry level civil engineer responsibilities. It's meant to present you as a wholesome candidate by showcasing your relevant accomplishments and should be tailored specifically to the particular entry level civil engineer position you're applying to. The work experience section should be the detailed summary of your latest 3 or 4 positions.
Representative Entry Level Civil Engineer resume experience can include:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to make presentations and to prepare written reports
- Demonstrated capabilities with AutoCAD and/or Civil3D designs for civil engineering related projects including grading, roadway, stormwater, and pipe networks
- Experience with computer programming in C++, Fortran, Java, Java-Script, Matlab, Python or other programming/scripting languages
- Basic initial knowledge of civil engineering design, previous experience in civil engineering
- Civil Engineering experience
- Zero to 2 years of relevant civil engineering experience
Education on an Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
Make sure to make education a priority on your entry level civil engineer resume. If you’ve been working for a few years and have a few solid positions to show, put your education after your entry level civil engineer experience. For example, if you have a Ph.D in Neuroscience and a Master's in the same sphere, just list your Ph.D. Besides the doctorate, Master’s degrees go next, followed by Bachelor’s and finally, Associate’s degree.
Additional details to include:
- School you graduated from
- Major/ minor
- Year of graduation
- Location of school
These are the four additional pieces of information you should mention when listing your education on your resume.
Professional Skills in Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
When listing skills on your entry level civil engineer resume, remember always to be honest about your level of ability. Include the Skills section after experience.
Present the most important skills in your resume, there's a list of typical entry level civil engineer skills:
- Prior Freight Rail Experience
- Producing high quality plans that are accurate and effective in communicating the design concept to the constructor
- Experience coordinating multi-discipline team design projects
- Experience with proposals and report writing
- Previous experience working under a Civil Engineer on public works projects in Southern California
- Some experience with AutoCAD, Microstation or other civil engineering related software (Civil 3D, Inroads, StormCAD, Pondpak
List of Typical Experience For an Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
Experience for entry level civil engineer stormwater resume.
- Related site/civil or municipal internship / co-op experience is highly desired
- Developing layouts and designs, and preparing plans and specifications
- Understanding and applying regulations to develop standards and theories necessary to carry out project design and permitting work
- Computer-aided design and drafting of site layout, roadway, grading, and utility systems using tools including, but not limited to Civil3D and WaterCAD
- Exercise judgement limited to developing details of work in making preliminary decisions and material selections, and adaptations of engineering alternatives
- Produce plan sets including the filing and archiving of drawings and assists with quality reviews before drawings are released
- Capable of using spreadsheet, word processing and standard office software ( MS Office Excel, Word, Project)
- Provide support for senior\lead engineers and project managers with respect to stormwater, grading, site planning, erosion control, and design efforts
- Infrastructure development including roadway design, grading design, drainage design, and utility system design
Experience For Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
- Utilize standard techniques, procedures, and criteria while gaining understanding of advanced methods
- Water resources design including ICPR modeling
- Maintain positive working relationships with client contacts, suppliers, contractors, engineering consultants and external agencies
- Conduct calculations to support planning and design objectives, including hydrologic and/or hydraulic analysis
- Cost estimating designs and performing quantity take-offs
- Hydraulic and Hydrology modeling capabilities using SWMM or Info Works
- Assist with zoning approvals for telecommunication projects
- B.S. in Civil Engineering with a 3.0 GPA or higher is required
- Work closely with the project team, including civil, geotechnical, traffic engineers, and surveyors to provide value to each project
- Hydraulic modeling and preparation of reports for public utility infrastructure projects
- Conduct training and undertake data collection , analysis and design for civil technical components related to civil infrastructure and remediation projects
- Conduct research related to engineering policies and practices
- Familiarity with StormCAD and similar modeling software
- Capable of processing of large data sets like topography and bathymetry
- Introduced to the process of preparing calculations within a specific discipline
- Site grading and drainage
- Hydraulic, hydrologic and pollutant loading analyses and modelingConstruction Inspection and Administration for public infrastructure projects
- Plan and design for infrastructure systems (roads, water, wastewater, drainage)
- Research alternative design approaches, regulatory agency specifications and requirements
- Field inspections to define site conditions, scope a project and inspect construction
- Assist project tam by providing engineering design support (engineering reports, design calculations, quantity and cost estimates) for roadway, hydraulics, and civil engineering design projects
- Plan and design for rockfall hazard mitigation, slope stabilization, stream, drainage and erosion improvements and earthen dam inspections
- Prepare design drawings, plans, sections, details, and profiles/sections within the Autodesk Civil 3D
- Prepare project drawings and calculations, design of various project elements for inclusion in the final project deliverable, and coordinating with public utilitiesgencies, private utilities, and sub-consultants
- Basic knowledge of site design including site grading, layout, drainage and utility design
- Uphold both client and AECOM health and safety standards
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Commitment to work efficiently to complete tasks within budget and schedule constraints
- The ability to meet quality standards and deadlines
- Hydrologic and hydraulic evaluations
- Quantity and cost estimates
- Preparation of design drawings and specifications
- Construction oversight and other related field activities
- Preparation of associated calculations, reports and spreadsheets
- Work under supervision of Project Manager or Senior Civil Engineer
- Assisting with preliminary to final design calculations and plan development, reviewing of field information, and possible field inspection of existing facilities
- Assisting in the development of roadway alignments, hydraulic and hydrologic analysis, stormwater design, traffic control plans, erosion control plans, right-of-way determination, utility coordination, and environmental permitting
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, HCS, MicroStation, GIS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models)
- General engineering design and preparation of contract plans and specifications, including calculations
- Efficiently employs standard techniques, procedures, and criteria while developing advanced methods to improve efficiency
- Supports report preparation, site reconnaissance, and communications with multi-disciplinary AECOM project team
- Organize and prepare reports, maps, drawings, tests, and other topographical and hydrologic data to plan and design projects
- Incorporates schedules, budgets, constructability, and other project criteria into Civil design and layouts
- Construction Management Services and Engineer of Record for construction of water utilities and stormwater projects
- Work under supervision of senior civil engineer on exisiting AECOM projects. Projects include solid waste, earth works, remediation, construction oversight, design, geotech, mining, reclamation
- Management of onsite subcontractors
- Support design analysis through application of quantitative and qualitative evaluation techniques
- Prepare and draft construction documents (plans and specifications)
- Assist with quality control and assurance; and
- Prepare permit applications and support materials
- Desire to learn other design software programs; and
- Computer literate, knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Computer-aided design and drafting of site layout, roadway, grading, and utility systems using tools including, but not limited to AutoCAD , Civil3D and StormCAD
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position. Examples include software such as AutoCAD, GIS, MicroStation, and StormCAD, Hydrologic/Hydraulics models
- Assist with project due diligence, utility research and prepare engineering calculations, specifications, engineering cost estimates and technical reports in support of necessary project deliverables
- Applies a beginning level of understanding within a specific discipline
- Participate occasionally in client meetings and proposal research and writing an assignment
- Performs engineering calculations, prepares specifications, performs analyses, performs testing, issues reports and maintains related data for transportation related projects.
- Plans and schedules transportation engineering efforts associated with assigned project
List of Typical Skills For an Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
Skills for entry level civil engineer stormwater resume.
- Experience using Microstation
- Experience with design of roadways, retaining walls, drainage, etc...,
- Previous civil site engineering experience
- Experience in surveying
- Solid working knowledge of civil 3D design
- Hands-on design and/or construction experience
- Railway Experience with awareness of CP, CN, and AREMA standards
- Civil site engineering experience
Skills For Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
- Oil & Gas client experience
- Strong command of AutoCAD Civil 3D and HydroCAD
- Related experience in transportation, civil, or project management
- Demonstrated capability in AutoCAD
- Computer-aided design support for solid waste facilities, earthen dams, impoundments and related facilities
- Work experience and proficiency in AutoCAD Civil3D
- Previous intern experience with a design or construction related firm is desirable
- Experience with local (Hawaii/Guam) clients
- Interest and/or experience in Construction Administration or Quality Assurance
- Civil 3D experience
- Assisting a project manager or senior engineer with task production including preparing engineering related documents, drawings, calculations, and visual aids
- Obtaining and reviewing of existing information including some field work/site investigations
- Developing 3D models using civil engineering software such as Bentley InRoads or Autodesk Civil 3D
- Collaborating with design teams consisting of multidiscipline design engineers and technicians
- Originating technical calculations that advance the design of the project
- Drafting technical studies/reports
- Grading / Drainage
- Working knowledge of AutoCad Civil 3D
- Performing technical research such as product information, design codes, regulatory standards, etc
- Water resources project including H&H modeling
- Work within the Roadway/Highways group on the design of civil engineering projects including local roadways, highways, interstates, freight and transit, drainage improvements and utility relocation and protection
- Pavement Marking / Striping Design
- General understanding of PA, OH and WV permitting requirements
- Wastewater collection and water distribution system conceptualizing and detailing of drawings
- Assist with CAD and Civil3D Drafting
- Assist with design and preparation of grading, drainage, and utility plan packages for a wide range of municipal and private infrastructure projects
- Assist with the coordination with utility companies to identify existing and proposed plant and review locations for conflict and required utility relocations
- Obtain, assemble, organize, and summarize project material, such as mapping, utility plans, traffic counts, transit data, and design drawings
- Proficiency using AutoCad
- Familiarity with WaterCAD and similar modeling software
- ICPR and/or other H&H modeling software
- Some working familiarity with NYSDOT standards and specifications
- Some working familiarity with TxDOT projects
- Land Development drafting and design
- Provide assistance to other Transportation disciplines (Roads, Planning, Aviation, Structures) as project needs dictate
- Proficiency using CADD
- Design and construction phase services for state and municipal clients
- Work under supervision of a project manager or senior-level team member and assist with tasks including preparing engineering related calculations, drawings, and visual aids
- Transportation design including but not limited to
- Performs civil design calculations (i.e., site, grading, drainage, paving, geometric design, utility design), sketches, technical comparisons and similar technical work as required by assignment
- Serve on project teams under the supervision of AECOM’s Project Managers
- Strong data analysis skills, technical problem solving skills, effective organizational skills, multitasking ability, and excellent computer skills (MS Office) or other related design software
- Experience with AutoCAD or Micro-station desired
- Work under close supervision, the individual performs the routine aspects of engineering assignments requiring knowledge and application of basic engineering principles
- Use prescribed methods to preform specific and limited portions of engineering assignments
- Work under close supervision, the individual performs the routine aspects of engineer assignments requiring knowledge and application of basic engineering principles
- Gain a working knowledge of TR-20, TR-55, HEC-RAS, HEC-2, HY-8, AutoCAD/Civil 3D 2016, and other engineering applications
- Transportation and Airfield design including but not limited to
- BS or MS in Civil Engineering, or closely related field
- Drainage design, stormwater management and permitting
- Familiar with NPDES, Grading and Drainage, Stormwater Management and E&S
- Willingness to work in remote area (mine) in Canada and US
- Roadway design (alignments/geometry, roadside design, pavement, traffic control, etc.),
- Plan and contract document preparation
- Software: Autocad with Carlson, Microsoft WORD and EXCEL
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and Civil 3D Software
- Entry level experience with project financial reporting systems, accounting principles, spreadsheets, report writing and basic knowledge of Occupational, Health and Safety legislation
- Knowledge of Stormwater (NPDES) permits and Hawaii’s new Water Quality Rules
- Has passed FE or ability to obtain within one year
- Work with: MicroStation, GeoPak , AutoCAD, HY-8, Hydraflow Storm Sewers and Hydrographs, Flowmaster, Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, HEC-RAS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models)
- Working knowledge of Railway Design is preffered
- Documenting calculations and sketches
- Coordinating with field and office personnel for multidisciplinary project tasks
- Working on design teams in all aspects of a given project to develop detailed construction drawings and specifications
- Stormwater calculations and design
- Knowledge of erosion and sediment controls
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, Revit, GIS, HEC-RAS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models)
List of Typical Responsibilities For an Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
Responsibilities for entry level civil engineer stormwater resume.
- Experience in solid waste or earthen dam facility design support
- Prior LRT experience
- Interest and experience in Construction Administration or Quality Assurance
- Hands-on experience with Auto CAD
- Experience in site development, stormwater design and erosion control
- Develops understanding of transportation industry codes and standards
- Understands and uses computer software and applications associated with engineering assignments related to roadway design, hydraulics and drainage design for transportation projects
Responsibilities For Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume
- Provides support for client’s engineering deliverables. Introduced to business development concepts and is able to support proposals
- Complies with company’s safety awareness program, office and/or field safety policies
- Limited familiarity with codes, permits and software applications related to the discipline. Introduced to the process of preparing calculations within a specific discipline
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models, Civil3D and stormwater management design software such as HydroCAD)
- Demonstrated capability in AutoCAD and/or Civil 3D
- B.S. in Civil Engineering and 1-3 years' of expereice
- Assist with the preparation of functional, preliminary, and detail design drawings related to the reconstruction or widening of provincial or municipal roads or improvement for public transit
- Assist in the preparation of display material for public information meetings, client meetings, and other presentations
- Assist in the preparation of Environmental Assessment reports
- Organize, prepare material for, attend, and prepare minutes for project and technical meetings
- Assist with CAD production, review and compilation of basic information for road design projects, preparation of spreadsheets and draft reports
- Knowledgeable in AutoCAD and MicroStation
- Assisting in the development of roadway construction, intersection grading, traffic control, signing and pavement marking, E&SPC and post-construction stormwater management plans
- Assisting in the preparation of technical reports and project specifications
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, AutoCAD, MicroStation, InRoads)
- Structural and general water resources design
- Construction Management Services and Engineer of Record for construction of water restoration, water utilities and stormwater projects
- Willingness to travel (if and when required)
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, AutoCAD, InRoads, GIS, HEC-RAS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models)
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, Synchro, VISSIM, AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, HEC-RAS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models)
- Masters of Science in Civil Engineering
- Knowledge of site layout; water, sewer and storm drainage design, earthwork calculations, erosion and sedimentation controls
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, HEC-RAS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models
- Passed Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam
- Very Familiar with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Entry level experience with project financial reporting systems, accounting principles, spreadsheets and basic knowledge of Occupational, Health and Safety legislation
- Familiarity with current Railway Design Standards and Regulations (AREMA, CN, CP, Transport Canada, etc.)
- Course work or experience with focus on stormwater, water and wastewater distribution and collection design, including open channel flow and pumping systems calculations, collecting and analyzing of wastewater flows and parameters, compilation of drainage maps, and pipe profiles and the basic knowledge of pipe profiles and final grading
- Experience in site development and erosion control and stormwater design
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, AutoCAD, MicroStation, GeoPak, GIS, HEC-RAS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models)
- Some working familiarity with PennDOT and/or other state DOT's
- Perform construction observations
- St John Ambulance – Emergency First Aid – Schools – Certificate
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, AutoCAD, MicroStation, Civil 3D, OpenRoads, GIS)
- Previous intern/coop/work experience in highway or airfield design
- Work as a team member under the direction of a Project Leader on the civil portion of multi-disciplined projects
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software (e.g., AutoCAD, Civil3D, and GIS)
- Proficiency with Civil 3D, GIS, Microsoft Office suite
- (non-structural) civil design experience to include design and preparation of grading, drainage, and utility plan packages for municipal and private infrastructure projects
- Introduced to business development concepts and is able to support proposals
- At least one summer internship on site civil design projects is required
- Basic knowledge of some industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, Inroads
- Previous summer / work term / permanent employment in a relevant field
- Previous work experience or internship with engineering firms, contractors or DOTs involved in design, construction or management of highway or other transportation related projects
- Support cost-benefit analysis
- Prepare technical memoranda
- GeoPak, InRoads, OpenRoads
- Proficient with Civil 3D
- Regulatory File Review
- ICPR and/or Risa 3D
- Assist with the preparation of proposals, design packages, and tender documentation
- Embrace project management principles and provide support to PMs
- Assist with preparation of detailed design drawings of rail, highways, urban roads, interchanges, intersections, and airports, including plans for all ancillary devices that meets client and AECOM quality standards
- Prepare computer 3D and 2D models that can be used to generate plans, cross sections, quantities and survey notes
- Provide quality and quantity control on construction projects
- Provide assistance to other Transportation disciplines as project needs dictate
- Assist with the preparation of safety plans, proposals, design packages, and tender documentation
- Conduct GPS field surveys and process data (preliminary, layout, and quantity surveys)
- Act as a central liaison between AECOM, clients, and contractors on railway construction sites
Related to Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Samples
Continuous improvement engineer resume sample, engineer level resume sample, level engineer resume sample, engineer electromechanical resume sample, assistant director engineering resume sample, engineer service resume sample, resume builder.
Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Example
- 30% higher chance of getting a job
- 42% higher response rate from recruiters
Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Questions
1. how should you structure your entry level civil engineer resume.
As shown in our entry level civil engineer resume sample, you should have five sections in your resume. These are the header, professional summary , highlights, work experience, and education. If you have room you may include a section for hobbies or a section for awards at the bottom of the document.
The header consists of your name and your contact information. You may include a professional website link here, if you have one. For the professional summary, you may write a short paragraph of four to six lines. Begin the rest of the sections with a bold title followed by bullet points.
2. How do you describe achievements on your entry level civil engineer resume?
Including achievements in your work experience section is a good way to showcase what you have accomplished. For example, if you assisted a team that designed an award-winning airport, put it down as a bullet point under the relevant job. If you did any work that led to improvements, such as increasing efficiency or reducing waste by 15%, list that as well. If you have received numerous accolades from professional organizations, you can create a separate section for awards and recognitions.
3. How should you present software knowledge on an entry level civil engineer resume?
You can list software knowledge and other technical skills in the highlights section of your resume. If you have experience with programs like AutoCAD and MicroStation, write them as bullet points and indicate your level of expertise. You may also describe your software knowledge under work experience in the context of a job you performed. A statement such as “Used STAAD Pro to contribute to a new bridge model” indicates your proficiency. Check our entry level civil engineer resume sample for more ideas.
4. How do you make an entry level civil engineer resume for a first job?
If you are applying for your first civil engineering job, beef up your education section so that it clearly indicates your training. In addition to your degree, include any special-topic courses you took. List internships, apprenticeships, and work-study opportunities.
For your work history , go ahead and put down jobs you’ve held, including college jobs. These show that you have a good work ethic, even if they’re not in engineering. Make the most of any responsibilities such as shift manager at a fast-food restaurant or website maintainer for a law office. Leadership and tech skills are highly transferrable to a new career.
5. How do you write an objective statement for an entry level civil engineer resume?
Unless this is your first job or you are changing careers, you should write a professional summary rather than a resume objective statement. The professional summary is a brief paragraph that tells employers who you are and what you do. See our entry level civil engineer resume sample for a great example.
For an objective statement, craft a short paragraph that states your career goals. Use specific language and focus on how you can benefit the company. If you need more help, try our resume builder for step-by-step instructions.
Show Resume Text
123 Fake Street City, State, Zip Code Cell: 000-000-0000 [email protected]
Flexible Entry Level Civil Engineer committed to completing comprehensive analysis, design and calculations for civil engineering projects. Proficient at the preparation and implementation of construction plans, developing status reports, and project scheduling. Specialize in the development and scheduling of work projects.
- Project development
- Status reports
- Schematic interpretation
- Field installation
- Preventative and corrective maintenance
- Problem solving
February 2008 to January 2015 Company Name — City, State Entry Level Civil Engineer
- Completed calculations and analysis for civil engineering projects to determine viability
- Ordered necessary equipment and engineering materials, organized and monitored the stock and inventory of tools
- Completed preventative and corrective maintenance on field units and produced status reports for supervisor
March 2005 to January 2008 Company Name — City, State Entry Level Civil Engineer
- Completed data processing and technical diagnostics and troubleshooting tasks in the field
- Provided cost estimates, time and scheduling projections, and construction plans and specifications
- Assisted senior engineer in the development and interpretation of construction schematics
September 2000 to February 2005 Stevens Mechanical — City, State Entry Level Civil Engineer
- Assisted senior engineer in the formulation and implementation of field working plans and project scheduling
- Developed weekly status reports to update project supervisor on progress
- Performed field installations, maintenance and repair
1999 Michigan State University, City, State Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Civil engineering
- Civil engineering assistance
- [State Name] civil engineering license
- GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Civil engineering background
- Data entry knowledge
- High level millwork
- Data entry expert
- Engineering Analysis
- Escalated complex problems to level [Number] analysts.
More Resume Formats
- Best Resume Formats for 2023
Helpful CV Resources
- CV Templates
- CV Examples
Sample Entry-Level Civil Engineering Resume
If you're just starting your civil engineering career and need to shore up your resume's infrastructure, check out this entry-level resume sample..
Want to start building bridges to top civil engineering jobs? Resume expert Kim Isaacs says you’ll need a well-designed and well-written entry-level civil engineering resume to get recruiters’ attention.
The best way to begin is with a clear and cohesive entry-level civil engineer objective. Resume objectives can be comprised of a short bulleted list or a brief paragraph that explains who you are and why you’re the right person for the job with an overview of your credentials and your technical skills.
If you're just starting your civil engineering career but need to shore up your resume's infrastructure, check out this sample entry-level civil engineering resume that Isaacs created below.
Entry-Level Civil Engineering Resume
Earl Beckstrom Sometown, MI 48103 Phone: (555) 555-5555 Email: [email protected] | LinkedIn URL
- Upcoming graduate of ABET-accredited bachelor’s in civil engineering program. Backed by successful internship experience and knowledge of engineering theories, principles, specifications and standards. Plan to earn Engineer in Training certification upon graduation.
- Demonstrated 3D skills with the ability to design site layouts from concept through completion. Proficient user of AutoCAD Civil 3D, MicroStation and ArcGIS.
- Knowledge of Sometown, MI Municipalities Planning Code and zoning, subdivision and storm water ordinances.
Education & Credentials
ABC UNIVERISTY, Sometown, MI Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering program, 120/132 credits completed
- Honors: Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society), Dean’s List (5 semesters)
- Activities: Member, American Society of Civil Engineers and Emerging Green Builders (EGB); Planning Committee, Engineering Expo
- Civil Engineering Design
- Cost Estimating & Surveying
- Structural Analysis & Dynamics
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Construction Methods
- Traffic & Materials Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Water Resource Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics
- Concrete & Steel Design
XYZ COMPANY, Sometown, MI Engineering firm serving government and commercial clients. Intern, Civil Engineering Group , September 2016 to Present
- Assisted civil engineers on several key government projects involving roadway designs and improvements, solutions easing traffic congestion and replacement of deteriorating bridges.
- Handled cost-of-materials estimations, report and document tracking, project documentation, on-site project visits, invoice/agreement verification and building permit applications.
- Gained experience in blueprint reading, as well as preparation of maps and plans.
ABC COMPANY, Sometown, MI Worked in telesales throughout college to help finance education. Sales Representative , June 2014 to August 2016 (seasonal)
- Cold-called small business owners to sign new accounts for ABC Company’s print advertising service.
- Cultivated excellent relationships throughout assigned territory.
"We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us." — Winston Churchill
You can also download the entry-level civil engineer resume template in Word.
Entry-level civil engineers make a median salary of $69,774 a year. Once you’ve gotten a few years under your belt, you might make closer to $80,024. You can use Monster’s Salary Tools to search for civil engineer salaries in your location.
Ready to start your career? You can apply to civil engineering jobs on Monster. You can also take a look at civil engineer jobs in these cities where your skills are in high demand:
- Los Angeles
Reinforce Your Entry-Level Civil Engineering Resume
Though a resume isn't technically a structure, there are a lot of parts that go into making it hold up under pressure. Not sure yours passes the stress test? Submit your first draft to the resume experts at Monster . You'll get feedback about your resume’s content and appearance, so you can make the revisions needed to make a great first impression. It's a quick and easy way to make sure you're in strong shape for your first big job search.
Most Helpful In Resumes
Customizable Nurse Practitioner Resume Sample
By Jennifer Verta, Monster Contributor
How to Write a Successful LPN Resume
Freelance writer resume sample.
By Martina Mascali, Monster Contributor
Chef Resume Sample
Therapist resume sample.
By Venus Gentile, Monster Contributor
You control your data
Choose type of cookies to accept
These cookies give you access to a customized experience of our products. Personalization cookies are also used to deliver content, including ads, relevant to your interests on our Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with our advertisements or content as well as track the content you access (including video viewing). We may also collect password information from you when you log in, as well as computer and/or connection information. During some visits, we may use software tools to measure and collect session information, including page response times, download errors, time spent on certain pages and page interaction information.
These cookies are placed by third-party companies to deliver targeted content based on relevant topics that are of interest to you. And allow you to better interact with social media platforms such as Facebook.
These cookies are essential for the Site's performance and for you to be able to use its features. For example, essential cookies include: cookies dropped to provide the service, maintain your account, provide builder access, payment pages, create IDs for your documents and store your consents.
To see a detailed list of cookies, click here .
- Resume Examples
- Civil Engineer Resume: Examples & Writing Guide (+Template)
Civil Engineer Resume: Examples & Writing Guide (+Template)
As seen in:
Picture your new office. It's got a drafting table monitor, a Herman Miller chair, and a 9-foot poster of Alan Voorhees. In that office, you solve fun, massive puzzles that help millions. Over 300 other applicants applied for the job, but you got it. How?
Your civil engineering resume made you look like Elon Musk with an ASCE pin. Civil engineers are trusted with life and limb, so your resume must prove your worth without a single micro crack. Ready to write the best civil engineer resume around?
This guide will show you:
- A civil engineering resume example better than 9 out of 10 other resumes.
- How to write a civil engineer resume that lands more interviews.
- Tips and examples of how to put skills and achievements on a civil site engineer resume.
- How to describe your experience on a resume for a civil engineer to get any job you want.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here .
Sample resume made with our builder— See more resume examples here .
Not a civil engineer? Don’t worry, we’ve got plenty of sample resumes for people in engineering occupations:
- Engineering Resume
- Project Engineer Resume
- Process Engineer Resume
- Electrical Engineering Resume
- Manufacturing Engineer Resume
- Mechanical Engineering Resume
- Industrial Engineer Resume
- Network Engineering Resume
- Software Engineering Resume
- Systems Engineer Resume
- Quality Engineer Resume
- Best Examples of Resumes for Any Job
Here's how to write a civil engineer resume:
Civil Engineer Resume Example
Results-driven Civil Engineer with 10 years of experience. Eager to support Zenith Sphere Dynamics in building future resilient and sustainable infrastructure. Spearheaded the QuantumX Innovations project that resulted in a 30% reduction in construction costs by using artificial intelligence to make calculations tailored to the needs of our project. It helped us determine more precisely the amount of materials we needed to purchase.
Senior Civil Engineer
QuantumX Innovations, Orlando, FL
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Managed and supervised construction projects worth over $1M.
- Designed and implemented environmental control systems.
- Ensured adherence to safety and building regulations.
- Collaborated with architects and contractors.
- Led a project that achieved a 30% reduction in construction costs.
Junior Civil Engineer
Nexus-Byte Systems, Orlando, FL
January 2006–May 2011
- Assisted in the planning and design of infrastructure projects.
- Conducted soil testing and materials analysis.
- Coordinated with government bodies for permits and licenses.
- Designed a highway overpass that was chosen over competing designs.
B.Sc. Civil Engineering
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
August 2001–December 2005
Relevant extracurricular activities
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity.
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude.
- Dean’s List 2004–2005.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Microsoft Project
- Strong grasp of geotechnical engineering and hydraulic systems
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Effective communicator
- Exceptional leadership qualities
- Strong analytical abilities
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM), Construction Management Association of America, 2006.
- Professional Engineer (PE), Florida, 2007.
- 2015, Civil Engineer of the Year, American Society of Civil Engineers.
Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers since 2006
- Served as Chapter President in 2017.
- Organized a regional conference on sustainable infrastructure in 2019.
- Running Marathons (Completed Boston Marathon 2018).
- Volunteering for Habitat for Humanity.
Format Your Civil Engineering Resume Correctly
What's the difference between a beautiful engineering project and disaster?
Attention to detail.
Is it any wonder you need to show that in a civil engineering resume?
Start with the best resume format as a good foundation.
The chronological layout is the best civil engineer resume format. Why?
It breaks ground with your most recent experience.
Design it right with the best resume fonts , clear headings, and a backdrop of white space.
Finally, should you send an MS Word Doc Resume or PDF resume ?
In the days before prestressed concrete, PDF resumes weren't up to code.
Today's PDFs are machine readable. Civil engineer resume PDFs are your best bet unless the job offer forbids them.
Do you doubt your ability to turn out perfect written copy?
Find a lawyer in your social network, then have her proofread your civil site engineer resume. Lawyers make great proofreaders because they live by the written word.
Pro Tip: How long should a resume be for civil engineering? If you've got more than 5 years of experience, consider a two page resume. Otherwise, go with one.
Not ready to set the chronological format in stone yet for your civil site engineer resume? See our guide: Resume Formatting: How to Choose the Best Format [with Examples]
Write a Civil Engineer Resume Summary or Objective
Imagine you've got 30 seconds with the hiring manager for your dream job.
Do you tell her every detail of your last position? Start reading out a lengthy skills list?
Or do you say, "I oversaw 20 project employees and routinely handled multi-million dollar projects?"
That's the essence of a civil engineering resume objective or summary.
A resume summary is for applicants with skyscrapers of experience. It teases your solid work history.
A resume objective shows passion when you lack experience. Use it if you haven't even built a birdhouse yet.
The real trick? Construct either with measurable achievements .
See these professional civil engg resume examples as a blueprint:
That's under-reinforced. Stacked up against 300 other civil resumes, it's yawn-inducing.
But what about this experienced civil engineer resume sample:
Civil Engineer Resume Summary Example
That's positively earthquake-proof.
"But I don't have that kind of civil engineer experience."
That won't stop you. See the entry-level civil engineering resume examples below.
You can almost see the stress cracks. What hiring manager will trust you with important work?
So, add measurable details. That's what this entry-level engineer resume example does:
Civil Engineer Resume Objective Example
Zap. That's a great career objective for civil engineers for freshers.
The hiring manager is interested. The best part? You didn't need 10 years of experience.
You already had the summer internship. You did the other project online in a few days.
Pro Tip: Indeed.com, engineerjobs.com, ziprecruiter, and careerbuilder all get great reviews from civil engineers. Post your EIT or civil engineer resume on each to get noticed by recruiters fast.
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check . Start building a professional resume template here for free .
When you’re done, Zety’s resume builder will score your resume and our resume checker will tell you exactly how to make it better.
Should you add a heading to your great civil engineering resume summary? See our guides: How To Write A Resume Summary: 21 Best Examples You Will See and 20+ Best Resume Career Objectives - Use Them on Your Resume
Describe Your Civil Engineering Experience
Picture a hiring manager. Her name's Molly. She's got a coffee mug that says, "What's so civil about engineering?" and a stack of resumes 300 deep.
How can your civil engineer resume stand out like a cable-stayed bridge?
By picking only the bullet points Molly cares about. To do that, read the job ad carefully. Highlight the duties and responsibilities you see.
Then, make sure every bullet point proves you can deliver them.
The next two professional civil engg resume examples show the plan:
Civil Engineer Job Description for a Resume
Who's that, Gustave Eiffel? A resume for a civil engineer like that will knock Molly's M.C. Escher-patterned socks off.
It's packed with measurable accomplishments that fit the job. The next of our samples isn't:
Civil Engineering Resume Samples for Experienced
That's like a new AutoCAD document. It shows potential, but it doesn't actually deliver.
Writing an entry-level civil engineering resume with no experience ?
No problem. Consider the next two civil engineer resume examples:
How to Write a Resume for Civil Engineering with No Experience
Here's the good news:
Most civil engineering job descriptions overstate required experience.
- 1-2 years of experience often means an internship .
- 5 years can mean just one year.
You can also list volunteer work , academic accomplishments, and transferable achievements. They'll all beef up an anemic civil engineer intern resume.
Look at these two entry-level civil engineering resume examples.
Civil Engineering Resume Samples with No Experience
That's about as effective as the St. Francis Dam.
But add details, and you're cooking like this junior civil engineering resume sample:
That's Bechtel-level. Yet you can probably write a civil engineering student resume like that right now.
Pro Tip: Still worried you don't have enough experience for a great resume for civil engineering? A little underqualified is better than a little overqualified. Managers like to hire people who can grow into a role.
Don't overload the hiring manager with boring language. Build your QA or QC civil engineering resume with action words instead.
Don’t miss out on any extra information that could boost your chances of landing a job with help from this guide: Things to Put on a Resume to Make it Perfect [Tips & Examples]
Mention Your Education
Of course a great civil engineer resume needs education. But did you know it matters how you show it?
Everyone should list:
- College Name and Location.
- Years in School.
But the best applicants add achievements that secure the job like a Pratt Truss.
The graduate civil engineering resume examples below show what I mean.
Picture a job that values structural performance, AutoCAD skills, and a detail-oriented mindset . Which of these two sample civil site engineer resume education sections does it best?
Civil Engineer Resume Examples [Education]
Wow, that's in the Pillars of the Earth zone. It's built from details the hiring manager respects.
Now look at the next of our mid-level civil engineering resume examples:
That's like the dog-leg in the channel tunnel. It'll slow everybody down. You've got to show an area of interest in civil engineering, even back in school.
Pro Tip: Don't put your civil engineering internship in your education section. Add it to your work experience—it counts.
Should you show GPA on a resume for civil engineering? See our guide: How to Add Your Education on a Resume [Tips & Examples]
Put Skills on a Resume for a Civil Engineering
Let's look in again on our hiring manager, Molly. What's the #1 thing that'll make her hire you?
It's knowing you've got the skills she needs. But you can't just list them all in your civil engineer resume and hope she believes you.
You need to focus on the few shown in the job ad. Then prove them in your bullet points.
Check out two civil site engineer resume examples. In both cases, the job ad wants forensic engineering skills, collaboration , and a detail-oriented mindset.
This first sample civil engineering resume clip is sinking like the Kansai Airport:
You may as well say, "Sure I'm qualified." You need proof, with bullet points like this:
That's as solid as the Great Wall of China.
Need key skills for a civil engineer resume? Use the list below.
List of Skills to Put on a Civil Engineering Resume
Here's a list of civil engg resume keywords to start.
Add to it from civil engineering job descriptions online.
Follow the steps above, and you'll write a mid-level or civil engineering intern resume worthy of Isambard Brunel.
Pro Tip: Been shopping your best civil engineering resume around too long? Consider taking a job you don't love for a few months, just to get experience. Entry-level civil engineer salaries are the doorway to your dream job.
Need more ideas for skills to list on a great civil engineers resume? See our guide: +30 Best Examples of Skills to List on a Resume
Show Licenses on a Resume
If you're not certified, your career is as sturdy as the Titanic. But even if you've got your PE, you need to show it right on your civil engineering resume.
Here's a sample resume headline for civil engineers:
Civil Engineer, PE
Next, put it in your resume summary. See the civil engineer resume template up top for placement.
Finally, add it to a special section, like this:
Experience Certificate in Civil Engineering
- PE License, State of Utah
- LEED AP Certification
Notice we separated the PE license from the certifications. We don't want to confuse a two week cert with an eight year license.
Pro Tip: Don't give up. Some new grads submit 300+ civil engineering resumes before they get a job. Sound daunting? Recruiting sites like ZipRecruiter offer one-click application.
What certifications should you leave off a resume for a civil engineer? See our dedicated guide: How to Include Certifications on a Resume?
Add Other Sections for an Effective Resume
Remember our hiring manager, Molly? She won't hire based on civil engineering experience and education alone. Molly wants to hire a great employee.
How can you convince her with your civil engineer resume?
By using dedicated "other" sections. The goal? To show you're Doc Brown with better organizational skills.
The next two mid-level civil engineering resume examples show how.
Civil Engineers Resume Examples [Other Sections]
Well, we all need ways to pass the time, but those don't show a switched-on civil engineer.
But what about this exceptional civil engineer resume example?
That applicant might design the next Palm Islands or Carlsbad Desalination Plant.
But with a little elbow grease, you can write your own civil engineer resume like that.
Pro Tip: Definitely join a pro association like the ASCE , NSPE , or both. They look particularly good on entry-level civil engineering resumes. Plus, the networking alone can get you interviews and jobs.
Want to enhance the durability of your already good civil engineers resume? Find out what "other" sections work best. See our guide: Resume Sections to Include on Your Resume: 20+ Examples
Write a Civil Engineering Cover Letter
Hey, nobody reads cover letters, right? So you don't need a cover letter for your civil engineering resume.
Nobody reads generic cover letters. Ones that read like blueprints for a post barn.
So, make your engineer cover letter personal. Use the hiring manager's name if you can find it. Show you understand the job. Then, offer proof you'll do it right.
This shortened sample civil engineering cover letter does it perfectly:
NEP Engineering has a reputation for solving massive problems with efficiency and creativity. In my 5 years as a civil engineer, I've demonstrated those qualities, managing 8 $3 million+ projects for Barthold Smith, on time and under budget...
End your cover letter with an offer. Try something like, "I'd welcome the opportunity to explain how I found three design flaws before they caused catastrophic structure failures."
Pro Tip: PS— adding a "PS" to your cover letter is a great way to get it read. Put an eye-opening achievement or other fact in it. A "PS" holds the eye like a hanger reinforcement bar.
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
See more cover letter templates and start writing.
Need a template for your civil engineering cover letter? See our guide: How to Create the Perfect Cover Letter in 8 Steps
Add Contact Info to Your Engineering Resume
You nailed your civil engineering resume, but botched the contact info.
Now your dream job is galloping away like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
Don't let it. Start with:
- Updated Phone Number
- Professional Email Address
Kate Chausson, [email protected], 435-299-4608
But also, consider adding two other pieces of important resume contact info .
A profile website can attract more interviews. Stuff it with projects, CAD designs, dissertations, and other accomplishments.
Plus, our HR statistics report shows 87% of recruiters use LinkedIn during job searches. A LinkedIn profile will definitely boost your hireability.
Pro Tip: An effective LinkedIn profile needs strategic photos. It also needs the right civil engineer resume keywords. Learn the steps in our guide to LinkedIn mastery .
Need the full specs to make a civil engineering resume that does that job? See our guide: How to Make a Great Resume for Any Job: A Guide with 30+ Examples
Now you know how to write a professional civil engineering resume. Remember:
- Start with the job offer. Highlight what it's asking for. You'll need that as a blueprint for your great civil engineer resume.
- Pick your bullet points carefully. Almost every item in a resume for civil engineering should show a desired skill in use. Add metrics to show mastery.
- Put "other" sections in a civil site engineer resume to prove you're more than just a piece of paper. Add an ASCE membership, volunteer work, and publications.
Do you have questions on how to write a great resume for a civil engineering? Not sure how to describe your skills or achievements? Give us a shout in the comments! We'd be happy to reply!
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines . We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.
Don't miss out on exclusive stories that will supercharge your career!
Get a weekly dose of inspiration delivered to your inbox
Engineering Cover Letter Examples [+Easy-to-use Template]
Learn to write a cover letter for engineering jobs with this step-by-step guide. Our example engineering cover letter will lead the way, and the expert tips will help you succeed.
Best Job Search Sites in 2023: Overview of Job Websites
Job sites spring up like mushrooms. But which ones are actually worth your time? We've tried them all to create this handy list of the best job search engines to help you.
How to Send an Email Cover Letter (Samples & Tips)
Want to send a cover letter along with your resume? You've got two options: email your cover letter as an attachment, or write an email cover letter. We'll show you how to do both.
- Resume Experts
- Search Jobs
- Search for Talent
- Employer Branding
- Resume Samples
Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Samples
The guide to resume tailoring.
Guide the recruiter to the conclusion that you are the best candidate for the entry level civil engineer job. It’s actually very simple. Tailor your resume by picking relevant responsibilities from the examples below and then add your accomplishments. This way, you can position yourself in the best way to get hired.
Craft your perfect resume by picking job responsibilities written by professional recruiters
Pick from the thousands of curated job responsibilities used by the leading companies, tailor your resume & cover letter with wording that best fits for each job you apply.
Create a Resume in Minutes with Professional Resume Templates
- Generally applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of somewhat diversified tasks requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning
- Assist with development of permitting plans and permit applications
- On assignments involving investigations and planning, works to learn the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems
- Assist in the evaluation, selection and application of engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to site development projects
- Assisting with studies and alternative analysis
- Assist with biological modeling of secondary treatment processes
- Plans, schedules, and conducts own civil work under the supervision of a Senior Civil Engineer
- Prepare contract/design drawings, project specifications and bid documents. Collaborate with multiple engineering disciplines such as hydrologists, geotechnical engineers, and structural engineers on relevant design elements
- Working on engineering designs preparing reports, construction plans, specifications, calculations, equipment selection, and cost estimates for various projects
- Perform engineering work with the water/wastewater engineering group
- Assisting with unit process design and the development of treatment trains
- Performing engineering work with the water/wastewater engineering group
- Basic knowledge of industry standard computer software for the position (examples include software such as CADD, HCS, AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, Hydrologic/Hydraulic models or other drainage and water modeling software)
- Work under supervision of a project manager or senior-level team member
- Under supervision, performs routine engineering work while developing professional proficiency
- Performs other duties assigned by a Senior or Lead Engineer or Project Manager
- Conceptualizes the initial civil design approach for major phases of large and small land/site development or transportation related projects, has the responsibility for own civil engineering work of aforementioned types of projects
- Coordinate and conduct subcontractor oversight activities for projects including construction oversight, geotechnical drilling, surveying, utility locating, and environmental remediation
- Checking performance or conformity with plans and specifications through field inspection and testing
- Assist with unit process design and the development of treatment trains
- Performs the design and monitors ongoing process of a project, including the coordination of the project with City, State, and County officials, and other outside agencies
- Work on engineering designs preparing reports, construction plans, specifications, calculations, equipment selection, and cost estimates for various projects
- Check performance or conformity with plans and specifications through field inspection and testing
- Assist with the preparation of technical memoranda, reports and electronic deliverables
- Assist with studies and alternative analysis
- Duties may also include field activities such as site investigations
- Data collection, manipulation, analysis, and documentation
13 Entry Level Civil Engineer resume templates
Read our complete resume writing guides
How to tailor your resume, how to make a resume, how to mention achievements, work experience in resume, 50+ skills to put on a resume, how and why put hobbies, top 22 fonts for your resume, 50 best resume tips, 200+ action words to use, internship resume, killer resume summary, write a resume objective, what to put on a resume, how long should a resume be, the best resume format, how to list education, cv vs. resume: the difference, include contact information, resume format pdf vs word, how to write a student resume, entry level civil engineer resume examples & samples.
- Consults with supervisor on unusual problems and developments
- Prepare plans and technical specifications, contract documents and estimates
- Participates in contract bidding and administration: observes project activity on site
- 0-3 years of Civil Engineering and land development experience required
- BS or MS in Civil Engineering from an accredited university is required
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Sketch-up, Civil 3D, Microstation, AutoTurn and HAESTAD software stormCAD is a strong plus
- Working toward successful completion of FE exam is preferred
- The position will require field work, travel and working with other Tetra Tech offices
- Applicants must have a minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or equivalent, a Florida E.I. (Engineering Intern)
- 0 to 3 years experience, must have experience with AutoCad (associated CADD design software such as Land Desktop, Civil 3D, and Inroads a plus), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Project), and stormwater modeling software ( ICPR, HECRAS, MODRET, etc)
- Must have a valid Florida Divers License
- Design for an assigned system that may include analysis, calculations, research, selection, layout, etc. necessary to develop required design documents
- Assist in design efforts with all project personnel in all disciplines and departments ranging in moderate to large or complex projects
- Utilize basic civil engineering software packages and computer-aided drafting software in accordance with industry codes and standards
- One-two years’ industry experience in a design function
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a Civil Engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program
- Develop understanding of regulatory and permitting requirements for a variety of jurisdictions
- B.S. degree Chemical, or Civil/ Environmental Engineering
- Engineer-in-Training Certification required
Entry Level Civil Engineer Stormwater Resume Examples & Samples
- Master's in Civil Engineering or related field
- 2+ years of experience in research and/or design for water resources, roadway, and/or highway design projects
- Teaching/Training Instruction experience
- CPESC Certification
- On design assignments, works to learn how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications
- On assignments involving construction activities, works to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering drawings and specifications into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct
- B.S. in Engineering. Minimal experience is required of incumbents with a Bachelor's Degree in a branch of Engineering directly related to hiring discipline; no experience required with a Master's degree
- Structural background preferred
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills. PC and CAD skills required
- Collect and analyze data, conduct feasibility studies, and prepare technical reports for municipal water/wastewater systems
- Work closely with engineers and CADD designers in the preparation of design reports, contract drawings and specifications for construction
- Conduct engineering services during construction for major water/wastewater facilities
- Assisting with the preparation of technical memoranda, reports and electronic deliverables
- Developing understanding of regulatory and permitting requirements for a variety of jurisdictions
- B.S. degree Chemical, Civil or Environmental Engineering
- M.S. degree a plus, but no required
- Coursework in water/wastewater treatment and conveyance required
- Experience using engineering software preferred (AutoCAD, Revit, ArcGIS, BioWin, GPS-X, WaterGems, EPANet, SWMM, H2ONet)
- Familiarity with stormwater modeling software (XP-SWMM, HydroCAD, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, WinSLAMM, HY-8, etc.)
- Knowledgeable of local and state storm water management and erosion control requirements
- Experience in planning, preliminary and final design, and construction related services
- Experience in working with WDNR, WisDOT, Corps of Engineers and other regulatory agencies
- Conduct field investigations to support environmental, solid waste, and mining projects
- Provide monitoring and testing for environmental projects
- Provide construction quality assurance monitoring and testing for solid waste and mining projects
- Perform engineering calculations and analyses
- Develop permit, design and construction drawings using computer aided drafting platforms (AutoCad, Civil3D)
- Experience or interest in water chemistry
- 2+ years of full-time or part-time experience in Civil Engineering
- Hydraulic modeling capabilities using Bentley or Innovyze products
- Utilize an increasing knowledge of civil design principals, river mechanics, regulatory permitting, and soil mechanics to develop conceptual designs
- Learn and perform civil engineering design and analysis calculations utilizing Microsoft Excel and other tools
- Research construction materials, case studies, and design standards
- Utilize software such as AutoCAD, Google Earth Pro, and ESRI ArcGIS
- Work on multiple unique assignments simultaneously with a focus on meeting client schedule expectations, and expectations of safety, quality, and budget
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- EIT or ability to obtain
- Ability to obtain PE license within 5 years
- Willingness to travel 40%+
- Must be willing to work in the field as necessary
- Experience working in AutoCAD to prepare engineering drawings
- Experience working in AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Work successfully in a team setting as well as independently
- Prior internship or previous work experience related to civil engineering
- B.S. in Civil Engineering is required
- 0-2 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office
- Desire to work in team environment
- Previous telecom experience is a plus
Related Job Titles
Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Objective Example
Civil Engineers work closely in the planning, designing, and construction of buildings and facilities for cities, including roads, water systems, dams, bridges, and airports. Entry Level Civil Engineers may have limited responsibilities or work with a team. Clear resume objectives that identify your confidence, education, and experience are important to set you apart from the competition.
What the Entry Level Civil Engineer Objective Should Tell Prospective Employers
Entry Level Civil Engineers must have knowledge of high-level math, construction, engineering, technology, and design. A degree may be required in many cases. When constructing your resume objectives, you should come across as confident and knowledgeable about civil engineering. Highlight your education and any experience you have, internships included. Your prospective employers should be able to decipher your level of education, experience, and ability confidence all within that short objective. In case the hiring manager doesn’t read the rest of the resume, the objective should say everything he or she needs to know in a nutshell.
Sample Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Objectives
Civil Engineer positions can still be competitive at the entry level. Show your sincere interest in the position by stating the full name of the company and the position title in the objective. Here are some examples you can customize:
1. Quick-learning professional with a degree in civil engineering and experience with the process seeking a job as Entry Level Civil Engineer with ABC company.
2. Obtain an Entry Level Civil Engineer position with ABC company to develop knowledge and experience gained while earning a civil engineering degree and working with a firm for 2 years.
3. Looking to secure an Entry Level Civil Engineer job for ABC company that allows for further development of physical and problem-solving skills, as well as the utilization of a degree in civil engineering.
4. Passionate, design-savvy individual looking to hone a civil engineering education and internship skills with a position as Entry Level Civil Engineer for ABC company.
5. Seeking an Entry Level Civil Engineer position with ABC company that allows for creative design, problem-solving, and the practical use of a civil engineering degree.
Skills To Put in an Entry-Level Civil Engineer Resume Objective
Showcasing your professional skills and abilities in your resume is key to your success in the hiring process. Make sure you include a mixture of your top hard and soft skills in your resume objective statement and in your skills and work experience sections. Your skills allow hiring managers to quickly determine whether you’re an ideal candidate for the advertised position.
If you’re not sure which skills to include, review the job description for an idea of the top skills the employer is looking for. If these match your own skillset, go ahead and include them. You can also browse entry-level civil engineer profiles on LinkedIn to see the skills other job seekers choose to list.
Here are some top skills for entry-level civil engineers:
- Superior critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of computer-aided design software, such as Autodesk, AutoCAD, and PTC Creo Parametric
- Proficiency in analytical and scientific software, such as Minitab and WinTR-55
- Good understanding of mathematical concepts and theories
- Good grasp of the practical application of engineering science and technology
- Proficiency in project management software, such as Microsoft Project and Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Head over to LiveCareer’s Resume Builder for more help with writing a resume objective.
Entry Level Civil Engineer Related Skills
- Civil engineering
- Civil engineering background
- [State Name] civil engineering license
- GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Civil engineering assistance
- 10-Key data entry
- Data Transportation Engineering
- Supply level management
- Advanced level diagnoses
- Local Area Network (LAN) Engineering
Entry level cnc operator @ industrial strength corp..
Committed job seeker with a history of meeting company needs with consistent and organized practices. Skilled in working under pressure and adapting to new situations and challenges hardworking Operat...
10 yrs 5 mo
Entry Level Salesforce Administrator @ Wipro Limited
Salesforce Certified Administrator (201). *Salesforce Certified Platform App Builder. *Experience in Salesforce Customization, Security Access, Workflow Approvals, Data Validation, Analytics, Sales Cl...
5 yrs 10 mo
Entry Level CNC Operator @ Daman Products
Highly-motivated employee with desire to take on new challenges. Strong worth ethic, adaptability and exceptional interpersonal skills. Adept at working effectively unsupervised and quickly mastering ...
4 yrs 10 mo
Entry Level Officer @ Lubbock County Detention Center
Organized and dedicated Support Clerk with proven track record of providing exceptional customer service in fast-paced environments. Offering keen attention to detail and strong decision making skills...
11 yrs 10 mo
Entry Level Marine Mechanic/Yard Maintenance Worker @ MarineMax
Collaborative leader with dedication to partnering with coworkers to promote engaged, empowering work culture. Documented strengths in building and maintaining relationships in dynamic, fast-paced set...
30 yrs 8 mo
Most Popular Resources
- Professional Resume Writing Services
- Best Resume Builder
- Online Cover Letter Builder
- Free Resume Templates
- Online Resume Examples
- How to Write a Resume
- Resume Formats and Designs
- Cover Letter Examples
What to read next
How to Write a Resume Work Experience Section
How to Write a Great Resume Objective
How to Write a Resume Summary
Build a resume with LiveCareer
As seen in *
*The names and logos of the companies referred to in this page are all trademarks of their respective holders. Unless specifically stated otherwise, such references are not intended to imply any affiliation or association with LiveCareer.
2 Civil Engineer Resume Examples to Land You a Role in 2023
Civil engineers are experts in designing and constructing infrastructure that is safe, efficient, and cost-effective. As a civil engineer, your resume should be just like a blueprint. It should be well-planned, organized, and constructed with precision. In this guide, we'll review X civil engineer resume examples to help you create a resume that stands out from the competition.
- High Level Resume Tips
- Must-Have Information
- Why Resume Headlines & Titles are Important
- Writing an Exceptional Resume Summary
- How to Impress with Your Work Experience
- Top Skills & Keywords
- Go Above & Beyond with a Cover Letter
- Resume FAQs
- Related Resumes
Common Responsibilities Listed on Civil Engineer Resumes:
- Design and develop civil engineering projects such as roads, bridges, dams, and other infrastructure
- Prepare technical reports, cost estimates, and project specifications
- Monitor construction progress and ensure compliance with safety standards
- Conduct field inspections and surveys to assess existing conditions
- Analyze data from soil samples, hydrological tests, and other sources
- Develop plans for water supply, wastewater treatment, and stormwater management
- Prepare plans for land development, including grading, drainage, and erosion control
- Design and implement traffic control systems, such as traffic signals and signs
- Analyze traffic patterns and develop solutions to reduce congestion
- Develop plans for flood control and stormwater management
- Research and evaluate new technologies and materials for civil engineering projects
- Manage and coordinate the work of contractors and other personnel involved in civil engineering projects
You can use the examples above as a starting point to help you brainstorm tasks, accomplishments for your work experience section.
Civil Engineer Resume Example:
- Designed and managed the construction of a new bridge, reducing traffic congestion by 30% and improving safety for drivers and pedestrians.
- Conducted a thorough analysis of soil samples and hydrological tests to develop a comprehensive stormwater management plan for a new housing development, resulting in a 50% reduction in flood risk.
- Developed and implemented a traffic control system for a major intersection, reducing wait times by 40% and improving traffic flow by 25%.
- Managed a team of contractors and personnel to complete a $5M infrastructure project ahead of schedule and under budget, resulting in a 20% cost savings for the organization.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive land development plan for a new commercial development, including grading, drainage, and erosion control measures, resulting in a 15% increase in property value.
- Conducted field inspections and surveys to assess existing conditions and identify potential safety hazards, resulting in a 25% reduction in accidents and injuries on construction sites.
- Designed and developed a new wastewater treatment plant, increasing capacity by 50% and improving water quality for the surrounding community.
- Managed the construction of a new dam, ensuring compliance with safety standards and environmental regulations, and reducing the risk of flooding for nearby residents by 40%.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive cost estimation and project specification process, resulting in a 30% reduction in project costs and a 20% increase in project success rate.
- AutoCAD and Civil 3D proficiency
- Project management and scheduling
- Soil analysis and geotechnical engineering
- Stormwater management and drainage design
- Traffic engineering and control systems
- Infrastructure planning and design
- Land development and site planning
- Structural analysis and design
- Construction management and supervision
- Environmental impact assessment and mitigation
- Cost estimation and budgeting
- Surveying and field inspections
- Safety and risk assessment
- Team leadership and collaboration
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Problem-solving and critical thinking abilities
- Adaptability and ability to learn new software and technologies
Fresher Civil Engineer Resume Example:
- Designed and executed a transportation system for a local community, reducing commute time by 30% and improving safety measures by 20%.
- Developed and implemented a quality control program for a construction project, resulting in a 15% reduction in material waste and a 10% increase in project efficiency.
- Analyzed survey reports and data to plan and design a hydraulic system for a water treatment plant, meeting all government standards and reducing water flow rates by 25%.
- Managed a project to construct a new bridge, completing the project on time and within budget while ensuring compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Prepared cost estimates for a construction project, identifying cost-saving opportunities that resulted in a 10% reduction in overall project costs.
- Provided technical advice to project stakeholders, resulting in the successful completion of a project that had previously been delayed due to design issues.
- Inspected project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety standards, resulting in a 100% compliance rate.
- Computed load and grade requirements for a construction project, ensuring that the project met all necessary specifications and requirements.
- Developed and maintained project plans, schedules, and budgets for a construction project, resulting in the successful completion of the project on time and within budget.
- Project management and planning
- Geotechnical engineering
- Transportation engineering
- Hydraulic systems design
- Construction cost estimation
- Quality control and assurance
- Site inspection and safety compliance
- Environmental regulations compliance
- Technical problem-solving
- Effective communication and collaboration
- Time management and multitasking
- Adaptability and continuous learning
- Knowledge of relevant codes and standards
Entry Level Civil Engineer Resume Example:
- Developed detailed plans and designs for a civil engineering project, resulting in a 10% reduction in construction costs and a 15% increase in project efficiency.
- Conducted extensive research and analysis of soil samples, leading to the identification of potential risks and the implementation of effective mitigation strategies, resulting in a 20% reduction in environmental impact.
- Assisted in the preparation of project budgets and cost estimates, ensuring accurate financial planning and resource allocation, resulting in a 5% increase in cost savings.
- Monitored construction progress and provided technical support, resolving on-site issues and ensuring adherence to project timelines, resulting in a 10% reduction in construction delays.
- Conducted field inspections and surveys, identifying potential design flaws and recommending necessary modifications, resulting in a 15% improvement in project quality.
- Analyzed and interpreted data from soil samples and other tests, providing valuable insights for the design and construction teams, resulting in a 10% increase in project efficiency.
- Assisted in the development and implementation of strategies for environmental protection, ensuring compliance with regulations and minimizing environmental impact, resulting in a 10% improvement in sustainability ratings.
- Provided technical advice and guidance to other professionals, sharing best practices and promoting knowledge sharing, resulting in a 15% increase in team collaboration and efficiency.
- Maintained accurate records and documentation related to projects, ensuring easy access to information and facilitating effective project management, resulting in a 10% reduction in administrative errors.
- Proficiency in civil engineering software (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, etc.)
- Strong understanding of civil engineering principles and techniques
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct soil analysis and interpret data
- Knowledge of environmental protection strategies and regulations
- Proficiency in project management and budgeting
- Ability to monitor construction progress and provide technical support
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to conduct field inspections and surveys
- Knowledge of construction cost estimation and financial planning
- Ability to identify potential design flaws and recommend modifications
- Proficiency in maintaining accurate records and documentation
- Ability to provide technical advice and guidance
- Knowledge of risk assessment and mitigation strategies
- Strong attention to detail and quality control
- Understanding of sustainability in civil engineering projects.
Professional Civil Engineer Resume Example:
- Designed and constructed a major highway project, resulting in a 30% reduction in travel time and a 20% increase in traffic flow efficiency.
- Implemented innovative sustainable design practices in a bridge construction project, reducing carbon emissions by 25% and achieving LEED certification.
- Managed a team of engineers and successfully completed a dam rehabilitation project, ensuring compliance with safety regulations and preventing potential flooding risks.
- Developed comprehensive plans and cost estimates for a large-scale infrastructure project, resulting in a successful bid and securing $50 million in funding.
- Conducted extensive research and analysis to identify and solve complex engineering problems in a water treatment plant, improving efficiency by 15% and reducing operational costs by 10%.
- Inspected and monitored the construction of a high-rise building, ensuring adherence to design specifications and achieving zero safety incidents throughout the project.
- Provided technical guidance and mentorship to junior engineers, resulting in their professional growth and three successful project completions within budget and schedule.
- Implemented safety protocols and conducted regular inspections on a road construction project, achieving a 20% reduction in accidents and ensuring compliance with safety regulations.
- Developed and presented reports and presentations to communicate project status and results to stakeholders, facilitating effective decision-making and securing additional project funding.
- Proficiency in civil engineering software (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation)
- Expertise in sustainable design practices
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent knowledge of construction safety regulations
- Ability to develop comprehensive project plans and cost estimates
- Proficiency in conducting research and problem-solving
- Strong inspection and monitoring skills
- Ability to provide technical guidance and mentorship
- Knowledge of safety protocols implementation
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in LEED certification processes
- Ability to manage and lead a team
- Knowledge of infrastructure project planning
- Expertise in water treatment plant operations
- Proficiency in highway and bridge construction
- Ability to ensure compliance with design specifications
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to manage dam rehabilitation projects
- Knowledge of high-rise building construction
- Ability to secure project funding
- Expertise in reducing operational costs and improving efficiency.
Senior Civil Engineer Resume Example:
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive quality control program, resulting in a 20% reduction in construction defects and ensuring compliance with design specifications and safety standards.
- Successfully managed the maintenance of a major civil engineering project, resulting in a 10% decrease in downtime and a 15% increase in overall project efficiency.
- Conducted extensive research and studies on traffic patterns and environmental conditions, leading to the implementation of innovative solutions that reduced congestion by 25% and improved air quality in the surrounding area.
- Supervised and coordinated the work of a team of junior engineers and technicians, resulting in a 20% increase in team productivity and a 15% improvement in project delivery time.
- Prepared accurate cost estimates, bids, and contracts, leading to a 10% increase in project profitability and successful negotiation of favorable terms with clients and contractors.
- Provided technical advice on complex civil engineering issues, contributing to the successful completion of high-profile projects and earning recognition from clients and industry peers.
- Developed detailed plans, designs, and specifications for a variety of civil engineering projects, resulting in a 30% increase in project efficiency and a 20% reduction in construction costs.
- Conducted thorough feasibility studies and environmental impact assessments, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and minimizing the environmental footprint of projects.
- Wrote comprehensive reports and made impactful presentations to clients and government agencies, effectively communicating project goals, progress, and outcomes, and securing additional funding and support.
- Advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices
- Proficiency in using civil engineering software (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, etc.)
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong leadership and team management abilities
- Ability to develop and implement quality control programs
- Proficiency in conducting research and feasibility studies
- Expertise in preparing accurate cost estimates and bids
- Ability to provide technical advice on complex civil engineering issues
- Proficiency in developing detailed plans, designs, and specifications
- Strong knowledge of environmental impact assessments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to make impactful presentations
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and safety standards
- Ability to negotiate favorable terms with clients and contractors
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to innovate and implement solutions to reduce congestion and improve air quality
- Proficiency in conducting traffic pattern studies
- Ability to manage the maintenance of major civil engineering projects
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
High Level Resume Tips for Civil Engineers:
Must-have information for a civil engineer resume:.
Here are the essential sections that should exist in an Civil Engineer resume:
- Contact Information
- Resume Headline
- Resume Summary or Objective
- Work Experience & Achievements
- Skills & Competencies
Additionally, if you're eager to make an impression and gain an edge over other Civil Engineer candidates, you may want to consider adding in these sections:
Let's start with resume headlines.
Why Resume Headlines & Titles are Important for Civil Engineers:
Civil engineer resume headline examples:, strong headlines.
- Experienced Civil Engineer with a track record of delivering high-quality infrastructure projects on time and within budget
- Innovative Civil Engineer with expertise in sustainable design and a passion for creating environmentally-friendly solutions
- Results-driven Civil Engineer with a specialization in transportation engineering and a proven ability to optimize traffic flow and reduce congestion
Why these are strong: These resume headlines are strong for Civil Engineers as they highlight key skills and experiences that are highly valued in the industry. The first headline emphasizes the candidate's ability to deliver projects on time and within budget, which is crucial for success in the field. The second headline showcases the candidate's expertise in sustainable design, a growing area of importance in the industry. Finally, the third headline highlights the candidate's specialization in transportation engineering and their ability to optimize traffic flow, which is a critical skill for many civil engineering roles. Overall, these headlines effectively communicate the candidate's strengths and value proposition to potential employers.
- Civil Engineer with Experience in Project Management
- Skilled Civil Engineer with Strong Analytical Abilities
- Civil Engineer with Expertise in Structural Design
Why these are weak:
- These resume headlines need improvement for Civil Engineers as they lack specificity and fail to highlight the candidate's unique accomplishments or value proposition. The first headline mentions project management experience, but doesn't provide any context or results, such as the size or complexity of the projects managed. The second headline highlights analytical abilities, but doesn't showcase any specific examples or certifications that could strengthen the candidate's profile. The third headline mentions expertise in structural design, but doesn't provide any measurable achievements or notable projects that the candidate has worked on.
Writing an Exceptional Civil Engineer Resume Summary:
Resume summaries are crucial for Civil Engineers as they provide a concise and impactful way to showcase their skills, experience, and unique value proposition. A well-crafted summary can immediately capture the attention of hiring managers, setting the tone for the rest of the resume and positioning the candidate as an ideal fit for the role.
For Civil Engineers specifically, an effective resume summary is one that highlights their ability to design, plan, and oversee construction projects, ensuring they are safe, efficient, and sustainable.
Key points that Civil Engineers should convey in a resume summary include:
Relevant Experience: Clearly mention the number of years of experience you have in civil engineering, highlighting any notable achievements or career highlights. If you have experience with different types of projects or industries that are particularly relevant to the job, mention that too.
Technical and Domain Expertise: Showcase your knowledge of civil engineering principles, such as structural analysis, geotechnical engineering, and transportation engineering. Additionally, highlight any experience with software and tools commonly used in the field, such as AutoCAD, Revit, and Civil 3D.
Leadership and Teamwork: In any civil engineering role, leadership and collaboration are going to be core components. Emphasize your ability to lead cross-functional teams, collaborate with stakeholders, and ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
Problem-Solving Skills: Civil Engineers must be able to analyze complex problems and develop innovative solutions. Highlight your ability to identify issues, develop solutions, and implement them effectively.
Sustainability: Sustainability is becoming increasingly important in civil engineering. Showcase your ability to design projects that are environmentally friendly, energy-efficient, and sustainable.
To create a compelling resume summary, use your best judgment to choose the right combination of these key points that align closest with the individual role you’re applying for. Remember, your resume summary will be one of the first things that a potential employer will see about you and your civil engineering career.
Civil Engineer Resume Summary Examples:
- Experienced Civil Engineer with a strong background in project management and construction supervision, overseeing multimillion-dollar infrastructure projects from conception to completion. Skilled in collaborating with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to ensure timely and cost-effective project delivery, resulting in a 25% increase in project efficiency.
- Detail-oriented Civil Engineer with expertise in structural design and analysis, utilizing advanced software tools to develop innovative solutions for complex engineering challenges. Proven track record of delivering high-quality designs that meet or exceed industry standards, resulting in a 15% reduction in construction costs.
- Results-driven Civil Engineer with a focus on sustainability and environmental impact, leveraging expertise in green infrastructure design and construction to deliver eco-friendly solutions for urban development projects. Skilled in managing project budgets and timelines, resulting in a 30% increase in project profitability.
Why these are strong: These resume summaries are strong for Civil Engineers as they highlight the candidates' key strengths, accomplishments, and industry-specific experience. The first summary emphasizes the candidate's project management skills and ability to deliver projects on time and within budget. The second summary showcases the candidate's technical expertise in structural design and analysis, and their ability to develop innovative solutions that save costs. Lastly, the third summary demonstrates the candidate's focus on sustainability and their ability to deliver eco-friendly solutions, making them highly appealing to potential employers. Overall, these summaries effectively communicate the candidates' value proposition and differentiate them from other candidates in the job market.
- Civil Engineer with experience in designing and managing construction projects, seeking a challenging role in a reputable organization to utilize my skills and knowledge.
- Experienced Civil Engineer with expertise in structural analysis and design, seeking a position in a dynamic company to contribute to the development of innovative engineering solutions.
- Civil Engineer with a focus on project management and team collaboration, committed to delivering high-quality results on time and within budget.
Why these are weak: These resume summaries need improvement for Civil Engineers as they lack specific achievements, quantifiable results, and unique value propositions. The first summary provides only a general overview of the candidate's experience, without mentioning any specific projects or industries. The second summary mentions expertise in structural analysis and design but doesn't provide any examples of successful projects or innovative solutions that resulted from the candidate's skills. The third summary mentions project management and team collaboration but doesn't provide any details on the candidate's successes in delivering high-quality results, which would make their profile more compelling to potential employers.
Resume Objective Examples for Civil Engineers:
- Detail-oriented and highly motivated Civil Engineer seeking an entry-level position to apply my knowledge of structural design, project management, and AutoCAD to contribute to the success of a growing engineering firm.
- Recent Civil Engineering graduate with a focus on transportation engineering and a background in GIS mapping, seeking a position to apply my knowledge of traffic analysis, road design, and sustainable transportation to create impactful infrastructure projects.
- Goal-driven and creative Civil Engineer with experience in construction management and environmental engineering, seeking a position to leverage my skills in project planning, site development, and regulatory compliance to contribute to the growth of a forward-thinking organization.
Why these are strong: These resume objectives are strong for up and coming Civil Engineers because they showcase the candidates' relevant skills, education, and eagerness to learn and contribute to the success of the organization. The first objective emphasizes the candidate's attention to detail and knowledge of important Civil Engineering tools, such as AutoCAD. The second objective showcases the candidate's educational background and knowledge of transportation engineering principles, demonstrating a strong foundation for success in the role. Lastly, the third objective highlights the candidate's experience in construction management and environmental engineering, making them a promising fit for a Civil Engineer position where they can further develop their skills and contribute to the company's growth.
- Seeking a Civil Engineering position where I can utilize my skills and knowledge to contribute to the success of the company.
- Recent Civil Engineering graduate seeking an entry-level position to gain experience and grow professionally.
- Aspiring Civil Engineer with a passion for infrastructure development, seeking an opportunity to learn and apply my skills in a challenging environment.
Why these are weak: These resume objectives need improvement for up and coming Civil Engineers because they lack specificity and don't effectively showcase the unique value or skills the candidates possess. The first objective is generic and doesn't provide any information about the candidate's background, passion, or relevant experience. The second objective only mentions the candidate's recent graduation and desire for experience, but doesn't highlight any specific skills or achievements. The third objective mentions a passion for infrastructure development, but doesn't elaborate on the candidate's expertise, skills, or any particular area of civil engineering they are interested in, which would make their profile more appealing to potential employers.
Generate Your Resume Summary with AI
Speed up your resume creation process with the ai resume builder . generate tailored resume summaries in seconds., how to impress with your civil engineer work experience:, best practices for your work experience section:.
- Focus on specific projects you have worked on and the impact they had on the community or industry.
- Use numbers and metrics to showcase your achievements, such as the number of structures you designed or the percentage of cost savings you achieved.
- Describe your role in the project and the specific tasks you were responsible for, such as designing, testing, or managing construction.
- Highlight any challenges you faced during the project and how you overcame them, such as working with limited resources or navigating complex regulations.
- Demonstrate your technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles, such as structural analysis, materials science, or geotechnical engineering.
- Mention any certifications or licenses you hold, such as a Professional Engineer (PE) license or LEED accreditation.
- Emphasize your ability to work collaboratively with other engineers, architects, contractors, and stakeholders to deliver successful projects.
- Use clear and concise language that is easy to understand for non-technical audiences, such as project managers or clients.
- Show your commitment to professional development by mentioning any continuing education courses, conferences, or industry associations you are involved in.
Example Work Experiences for Civil Engineers:
Designed and managed the construction of a new bridge, ensuring compliance with safety regulations and completing the project within the allocated budget and timeline.
Conducted site inspections and analyzed data to identify potential risks and develop effective solutions, resulting in a 25% reduction in safety incidents on construction sites.
Collaborated with project stakeholders to develop and implement sustainable infrastructure solutions, reducing the environmental impact of construction projects by 30%.
Led a team of engineers in the design and construction of a water treatment plant, resulting in a 20% increase in water quality and availability for local communities.
Conducted feasibility studies and cost-benefit analyses for infrastructure projects, providing valuable insights to stakeholders and ensuring the successful completion of projects within budget and timeline constraints.
Developed and implemented quality control procedures for construction projects, resulting in a 15% reduction in defects and rework.
Why these are strong:
- These work experiences are strong because they showcase the candidate's technical expertise, project management skills, and ability to deliver results that positively impact communities. By highlighting their ability to lead teams, analyze data, and develop sustainable solutions, the candidate demonstrates their value as a well-rounded Civil Engineer who can successfully manage complex projects and ensure their successful completion.
Assisted in the design of a bridge, providing input on materials and structural elements.
Conducted site visits to monitor construction progress and ensure compliance with safety regulations.
Reviewed project plans and specifications, identifying potential issues and proposing solutions.
Worked on a team responsible for the construction of a wastewater treatment plant, performing calculations and analysis.
Assisted in the preparation of project proposals and bids, including cost estimates and timelines.
Coordinated with contractors and vendors to ensure timely delivery of materials and equipment.
- Conducted geotechnical investigations for a highway expansion project, including soil sampling and analysis.
- Prepared technical reports and presentations for clients and stakeholders, summarizing findings and recommendations.
- Collaborated with other engineers and project managers to ensure project goals were met on time and within budget.
- These work experiences are weak because they lack specific details and quantifiable results. They provide generic descriptions of tasks performed without showcasing the impact of the individual's work or the benefits brought to the company. To improve these bullet points, the candidate should focus on incorporating metrics to highlight their achievements, using more powerful action verbs, and providing clear context that demonstrates their leadership qualities and direct contributions to successful outcomes.
Top Skills & Keywords for Civil Engineer Resumes:
Top hard & soft skills for civil engineers, hard skills.
- AutoCAD and other design software proficiency
- Building codes and regulations knowledge
- Construction materials testing
- Surveying and mapping
- Environmental impact assessment
- Cost estimating and budgeting
- Risk assessment and management
- Communication and collaboration with team members and stakeholders
- Communication and Presentation Skills
- Leadership and Team Management
- Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
- Attention to Detail and Accuracy
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Time Management and Prioritization
- Collaboration and Cross-Functional Coordination
- Decision Making and Strategic Planning
- Analytical and Technical Skills
- Creativity and Innovation
- Active Listening and Feedback Incorporation
- Emotional Intelligence and Relationship Building
Go Above & Beyond with a Civil Engineer Cover Letter
Civil engineer cover letter example: (based on resume).
As a Civil Engineer, you know that attention to detail and effective communication are critical to the success of any project. Similarly, pairing your resume with a well-crafted cover letter can set you apart from other applicants and increase your chances of landing an interview. A cover letter is an extension of your resume, an opportunity to showcase your expertise and passion for the role. Contrary to popular belief, crafting a compelling cover letter doesn't have to be a daunting task, and the benefits far outweigh the effort required.
Here are some compelling reasons for submitting a cover letter as a Civil Engineer:
- Personalize your application and demonstrate your genuine interest in the company and the specific project
- Highlight your relevant experience and how it aligns with the job requirements, including any specialized skills or certifications
- Communicate your understanding of the project's unique challenges and how you plan to address them
- Share success stories and achievements that couldn't be accommodated in your resume, such as specific projects you've worked on or awards you've received
- Demonstrate your writing and communication skills, which are essential for effective project management
- Differentiate yourself from other applicants who might have opted not to submit a cover letter, showing that you are willing to go the extra mile to secure the job.
By submitting a cover letter along with your resume, you can demonstrate your expertise, passion, and commitment to the project, setting yourself apart from other applicants and increasing your chances of landing an interview.
Resume FAQs for Civil Engineers:
How long should i make my civil engineer resume.
In general, a Civil Engineer resume should be one to two pages long. It should be concise and highlight the most relevant and impressive experiences and skills. It's important to remember that hiring managers and recruiters often have to review many resumes, so a shorter, well-organized resume can make a better impression than a longer, cluttered one. However, if a Civil Engineer has extensive experience or has worked on many projects, it may be appropriate to have a longer resume. In this case, it's important to prioritize the most important information and make sure the resume is still easy to read and well-organized. Ultimately, the length of a Civil Engineer resume should be determined by the individual's experience and qualifications, as well as the specific job they are applying for.
What is the best way to format a Civil Engineer resume?
The best way to format a Civil Engineer resume is to start with a clear and concise summary statement that highlights your experience and skills. This should be followed by a section that lists your technical skills and certifications, as well as any relevant software or tools you are proficient in. Next, include a section that outlines your professional experience, starting with your most recent position and working backwards. Be sure to include specific details about your responsibilities and accomplishments in each role, and quantify your achievements whenever possible. Finally, include a section that highlights your education and any relevant coursework or research projects. This should also include any professional development or training you have completed. Overall, the key to a successful Civil Engineer resume is to focus on your technical skills and experience, while also highlighting your ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with clients and colleagues. It is also important to tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying for
Which Civil Engineer skills are most important to highlight in a resume?
When it comes to highlighting skills on a Civil Engineer's resume, it is essential to focus on technical skills, such as proficiency in AutoCAD, project management, and design software. Additionally, highlighting skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication can also be beneficial. Civil Engineers should also emphasize their experience in managing projects, working with teams, and ensuring compliance with regulations and safety standards. Finally, highlighting any relevant certifications or licenses can also help to demonstrate expertise and credibility in the field.
How should you write a resume if you have no experience as a Civil Engineer?
If you have no experience as a Civil Engineer, it is important to focus on highlighting your education, skills, and any relevant coursework or projects you have completed. Here are some tips for writing a resume as an aspiring Civil Engineer with no experience: 1. Start with a strong objective statement: Your objective statement should clearly state your career goals and how you plan to use your education and skills to contribute to the field of Civil Engineering. 2. Highlight your education: List your degree, major, and any relevant coursework or projects you have completed. If you have a high GPA, be sure to include it. 3. Showcase your skills: List any technical skills you have acquired through coursework or internships, such as proficiency in AutoCAD or experience with surveying equipment. 4. Include any relevant experience: If you have any work experience, even if it is not directly related to Civil Engineering, highlight any transferable skills you gained, such as project management or teamwork. 5. Emphasize your extr
Compare Your Civil Engineer Resume to a Job Description:
- Identify opportunities to further tailor your resume to the Civil Engineer job
- Improve your keyword usage to align your experience and skills with the position
- Uncover and address potential gaps in your resume that may be important to the hiring manager
Related Resumes for Civil Engineers:
Civil engineer resume example, fresher civil engineer resume example, more resume guidance:.
Entry-Level Engineering Resume—Sample and Writing Tips
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.” Patrick I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work! Dylan My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful! George
Entry-Level Engineering Resume Example
1. start with the right entry-level engineering resume format, entry-level engineering resume format, 2. write a strong entry-level engineering resume objective or summary, 3. add the best entry-level engineering job description and skills sections, entry-level engineering resume skills, 4. turn boring education into a reason to hire you, 5. include extra sections on your entry-level engineering resume, about resumelab’s editorial process, was it interesting here are similar articles.
Engineering Cover Letter Examples (+ Entry-Level) for 2023
Email Cover Letter: 5 Samples & Writing Guide + Expert Tips
What are Hard Skills? 100+ Examples for a Resume
Top 17 Civil Engineer Resume Objective Examples
Updated July 8, 2023 13 min read
A resume objective is a short statement at the top of your resume that highlights your qualifications and experience as they relate to the civil engineering position you are applying for. It should be tailored to the specific job posting, so it is important to read the job description carefully when crafting your objective. It should also be brief, usually no more than two sentences, and should show how you can bring value to the organization. For example: "Results-driven civil engineer with 5+ years of experience in infrastructure design and project management seeking to leverage expertise in creating cost-effective engineering solutions for ABC Company." or "Experienced civil engineer looking for an opportunity to utilize strong technical skills in designing efficient infrastructure projects at XYZ Corporation." Following these tips can help ensure that your resume objective stands out from other applicants and helps make a positive impression on hiring managers.
Top 17 Civil Engineer Resume Objective Samples
- To obtain a challenging Civil Engineering position in a reputable organization, utilizing my technical skills and experience to contribute to the growth of the company.
- Seeking a Civil Engineer role with an organization that values hard work, dedication and innovation.
- To secure a position as a Civil Engineer with an established firm that offers opportunities for professional growth and development.
- To gain employment as a Civil Engineer in an organization where I can utilize my knowledge and experience to help the company reach its goals.
- To acquire a position as a Civil Engineer in an esteemed organization that provides me with the opportunity to further develop my skills and abilities.
- Looking for an opportunity to work as a Civil Engineer in an environment that encourages learning and innovation.
- To obtain a civil engineering role with an organization that values creativity, problem solving and teamwork.
- Seeking employment as a civil engineer in order to use my knowledge of engineering principles, construction methods, design techniques, and project management strategies.
- Aiming for a position as a civil engineer where I can apply my expertise in structural design, site planning, surveying, materials testing, and other related disciplines.
- Aspiring to join an esteemed organization as a civil engineer where I can make use of my strong analytical skills while contributing towards the success of the team.
- Applying for the role of civil engineer at your esteemed company where I can put my technical knowledge into practice while helping you achieve your organizational objectives.
- Desire to become part of your team by obtaining the position of civil engineer so that I can apply my expertise in structural analysis, materials testing, construction management, etc., while contributing towards organizational progress.
- Aiming for the role of civil engineer at your esteemed firm so that I may leverage my experience in project management strategies while assisting you with meeting your goals.
- Looking for an opportunity to join your team as a civil engineer so that I may utilize my experience in surveying techniques while helping you achieve success.
- Seeking employment as a civil engineer at your esteemed firm so that I may bring forth my knowledge in construction methods while helping you reach new heights of success.
- Applying for the role of civil engineer at your esteemed company where I can make use of my strong problem-solving skills while contributing towards organizational progress
How to Write a Civil Engineer Resume Objective
When writing a civil engineer resume objective, it is important to keep in mind that the objective should reflect the individual's qualifications, experience, and goals. The objective should be concise and direct, highlighting the skills that the applicant brings to the job. It should also emphasize any unique qualifications or experiences that make the candidate stand out from other applicants.
The first step in crafting a civil engineer resume objective is to consider what type of job the individual is seeking. Is it a full-time or part-time position? What kind of engineering project will they be working on? Knowing this information can help focus the objective statement on relevant qualifications and experiences.
Next, it is important to highlight any education or training related to civil engineering. This can include degrees and certifications, as well as specialized courses or workshops taken to further develop existing skills. Additionally, any work experience related to civil engineering should be included in order to demonstrate an understanding of industry practices and regulations.
Finally, it is important for an applicant's resume objective to clearly state their career goals and ambitions within civil engineering. This could involve working on specific projects, developing new technologies within the field, or advancing their knowledge of civil engineering principles through research or teaching opportunities. By emphasizing how they plan to contribute to the field through their work, applicants are more likely to impress potential employers with their level of commitment and expertise.
Overall, crafting an effective civil engineer resume objective requires careful consideration of an individual’s qualifications and goals in order to create a concise yet informative statement that stands out from other applicants. When done correctly, this statement can help individuals gain access to exciting opportunities within this dynamic field.
Related : What does a Civil Engineer do?
Key Skills to Highlight in Your Civil Engineer Resume Objective
In the competitive field of civil engineering, your resume needs to stand out to catch the attention of potential employers. One critical area that can help set you apart is your resume objective, where you succinctly highlight your career goals and key skills. This section provides an opportunity to showcase not only your technical abilities but also soft skills that are crucial in this profession. In this section, we will discuss the key skills you should emphasize in your civil engineer resume objective to effectively demonstrate your suitability for the role.
AutoCAD is a crucial skill for a Civil Engineer because it is a leading design and drafting software used in civil engineering. It allows engineers to create precise 2D and 3D drawings for planning, designing, and managing civil engineering projects. Having AutoCAD skills shows potential employers that the candidate can effectively use this tool to carry out essential duties related to infrastructure development and improvement.
Revit is a crucial skill for a Civil Engineer because it is a software used for Building Information Modeling (BIM), which allows engineers to design and manage infrastructure and buildings. This skill showcases the engineer's ability to use advanced tools for planning, designing, constructing, and managing buildings or infrastructure. It also demonstrates their proficiency in creating detailed 3D models, which can enhance efficiency and accuracy in their work. Including this skill in a resume objective can highlight the candidate's technical expertise and commitment to using industry-standard technology, making them more attractive to potential employers.
Geographic Information System (GIS) is a crucial skill for a Civil Engineer because it involves the use of software to capture, manage, analyze, and interpret geographic data. This skill is essential in planning and executing construction projects as it helps in site selection, route selection, disaster management, and urban planning. It also aids in understanding patterns and trends which can be vital for infrastructure development. Including GIS as a skill in a resume objective demonstrates the candidate's ability to utilize technology in making informed decisions related to civil engineering tasks.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a crucial skill for a Civil Engineer as it involves creating and managing digital representations of physical and functional characteristics of places. This skill is necessary for designing, planning, constructing, and managing buildings and infrastructure. Including BIM in a resume objective demonstrates proficiency in modern engineering design tools, which can enhance productivity, collaboration, and the quality of work. It also shows that the candidate is capable of making informed decisions by assessing different design scenarios using BIM software. This competency can give an edge to the candidate in the competitive job market.
STAAD.Pro is a structural analysis and design software widely used in the civil engineering field. Having this skill on a resume objective shows that the candidate has the ability to design and analyze complex structures, which is crucial for a civil engineer. It demonstrates technical proficiency, attention to detail, and the ability to use industry-standard software, making them more efficient and effective in their role. This skill can also make an applicant more competitive as it is highly sought after by employers.
HEC-RAS is a crucial skill for a Civil Engineer as it is an industry-standard software used for modeling the flow of water in rivers, channels, and other hydraulic systems. This skill is needed to demonstrate the ability to conduct complex hydraulic analyses and floodplain mapping, which are critical tasks in civil engineering projects. It also shows proficiency in utilizing advanced tools for designing and managing infrastructure, ensuring safety and efficiency. Including this skill in a resume objective can highlight the candidate's technical competency and their readiness to handle sophisticated engineering tasks.
SAP2000 is a structural analysis program widely used in the civil engineering industry. It allows engineers to build, analyze and design complex structures, such as bridges, skyscrapers and stadiums. Having this skill demonstrates that the candidate is capable of using advanced software to create safe and efficient structural designs. This can make them more attractive to employers who are looking for candidates with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills in civil engineering.
ETABS is a specialized engineering software used for structural analysis and building designs. Proficiency in ETABS demonstrates a civil engineer's ability to effectively use technology to create, analyze, and test building structures. This skill is essential for a resume objective as it showcases the candidate's technical competence, efficiency, and ability to deliver accurate and reliable results in their work. It also indicates the candidate's familiarity with industry-standard tools, increasing their employability in the competitive job market.
9. Primavera P6
Primavera P6 is a powerful project management software used by civil engineers to plan, manage and execute projects efficiently. It allows for effective scheduling, resource allocation, progress tracking and risk assessment. Having this skill on a resume objective demonstrates the candidate's ability to handle complex engineering projects with precision and efficiency. It also shows that the candidate is familiar with industry-standard tools, which can increase their competitiveness in the job market.
L-Pile is a software program used by civil engineers to analyze the structural integrity of deep foundations and designing piles. It is essential for a resume objective because it demonstrates the candidate's ability to utilize industry-specific technology and effectively design and evaluate infrastructure projects. This skill shows that the candidate can ensure safety, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness in their engineering projects.
In conclusion, your civil engineer resume objective should effectively showcase your key skills to make a strong impression on potential employers. Remember, this section is your first opportunity to communicate your qualifications and professional goals. The skills you highlight should align with the job description and reflect both your technical capabilities and soft skills. By carefully selecting and presenting these skills, you can demonstrate that you are not only qualified for the role, but also motivated and ready to contribute to the success of the company.
Related : Civil Engineering Technician Skills: Definition and Examples
Common Mistakes When Writing a Civil Engineer Resume Objective
A civil engineer resume objective is an important part of a job application and should be crafted carefully. It is the first thing that potential employers will see and it should set you apart from other applicants. Unfortunately, there are some common mistakes that people make when writing their resume objectives, which can ultimately hurt their chances of being offered the job.
One of the most common mistakes people make when writing a civil engineer resume objective is being too generic. Your resume objective should be tailored specifically to the job you are applying for and should highlight your relevant skills and experience. Instead of saying “seeking a challenging role in civil engineering” or something similar, focus on what makes you uniquely qualified for the position. For example, “seeking to leverage my six years of experience in structural engineering to benefit ABC Company” is much more effective.
Another mistake people often make is failing to include enough detail in their resume objectives. Employers want to know exactly why they should hire you, so your objective should clearly explain why your skills match the job requirements and why you would be an asset to their team. Try including specific examples of projects or tasks that you have successfully completed in the past that demonstrate your expertise in civil engineering.
Finally, many people forget to include any measurable results or accomplishments in their resume objectives. Showing employers how you have solved problems or helped organizations achieve goals can be extremely persuasive and will make them take notice of your qualifications. If possible, try to quantify any successes such as “increased efficiency by 25%” or “reduced costs by $50K” as this demonstrates that you have had tangible positive impacts on businesses in the past.
By avoiding these common mistakes when writing a civil engineer resume objective, you can ensure that yours stands out from the crowd and increases your chances of getting hired for the job!
Related : Civil Engineer Resume Examples
A right resume objective for a civil engineer would be to showcase their skills and experience in order to demonstrate their abilities to provide innovative solutions to complex problems. A wrong resume objective would be to simply list generic tasks that any civil engineer could do, such as designing roads or bridges.
Top 17 civil structural engineer resume objective examples.
This article provides examples of effective civil structural engineer resume objectives that can help professionals stand out from the competition.
Top 16 Civil Engineering Technician Resume Objective Examples
This article provides readers with a list of the top civil engineering technician resume objective examples to help them create an effective resume for their job search.
Top 16 Civil Project Engineer Resume Objective Examples
This article provides examples of powerful resume objectives for civil project engineers, as well as tips to help you create an effective and compelling resume objective.
Top 16 Senior Civil Engineer Resume Objective Examples
This article provides top examples of resume objectives for senior civil engineers to help them craft a strong, effective resume.
Top 18 Civil Drafter Resume Objective Examples
This article provides examples of effective civil drafter resume objectives that can help you create a strong and compelling resume.
Top 18 Civil Designer Resume Objective Examples
This article provides top civil designer resume objective examples to help job seekers craft a compelling, attention-grabbing statement that will stand out to potential employers.
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Undergraduate degree options.
As an undergraduate in either our BS in Environmental Engineering or BS in Civil Engineering programs, you will complete approximately two years of math and science and two years of engineering coursework. Students from both programs will work together in four hands-on project courses, one each fall. Taking advantage of free elective courses can also allow you to pursue an additional major or a minor from a variety of areas of study. Recent graduates have completed additional majors in Engineering and Public Policy, Psychology, and Technical Writing and minors in Architecture, Computer Science, and Business.
Some of our students also choose an additonal major or minor with our I ntegrative De sign, A rts and Te chnology Network (IDeATe). This unique program connects diverse strengths across Carnegie Mellon University to advance education, research, and creative practice in domains that merge technology and arts expertise.
Motivated students who want to gain a competitive edge in their career can get a jump start with our Integrated BS/MS program. This program gives you an accelerated path to earn your master's degree seamlessly with your bachelor's degree.
Bachelor of Science (BS)
Our Bachelor of Science program in Civil Engineering is an accredited and widely recognized degree program for entry into the civil engineering profession.
- Course Catalog - Department Information
- Civil Engineering Course Sequence
- ANSYS HALL: A Creative Epicenter
- Learning by Doing: Hands-On Design Courses
The new Bachelor of Science program in Environmental Engineering integrates computing and data analytics with a traditional environmental engineering course of study.
- Department Announcement of New Program
Internship and Global Education
Integrated BS/MS Program
- IMB Program
Minor: Environmental and Sustainability Studies
The minor in Environmental and Sustainability Studies offers an interdisciplinary approach to environmental and sustainability issues beyond a traditional engineering major degree program.
Six courses are required with offerings from a wide range of disciplines, including architecture, business, engineering and public policy, english, history, and philosophy.
Minor: Global Engineering
The Global Engineering minor prepares you to join an international community. Courses are designed to increase global awareness and international experiences.
Requirements include coursework in international management, ethics, modern language, as well as a study or work abroad experience.
- Visit the Undergraduate Course Catalog for ideas for other double majors and minors.
Concentrations and Minor: Interactive Design, Arts & Technology Network (IDeATe)
The I ntegrative De sign, A rts and Te chnology Network (IDeATe) connects diverse strengths across Carnegie Mellon University to advance education, research, and creative practice in domains that merge technology and arts expertise. IDeATe concentrations and minors provide the opportunity for you to choose from creative industry themes such as intelligent environments, physical computing, and media design. Courses are focused on hands-on collaborative learning and are structured to combine students from many different disciplines.
IDeATe supports eight interrelated undergraduate concentration areas, all of which can also be taken as minors. The themes of these areas integrate knowledge in technology and arts: Game Design, Animation and Special Effects, Media Design, Sound Design, Learning Media, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Intelligent Environments, and Physical Computing.
Concentrations are completed by taking four courses, while minors require five courses.
- The College of Engineering
Entry level civil engineer cover letters.
Approved by real hiring managers, these Entry Level Civil Engineer cover letters have been proven to get people hired in 2023. A hiring manager explains why.
Table of contents
- Entry Level Civil Engineer
- Junior Civil Engineer
- Alternative introductions for your cover letter
- Entry Level Civil Engineer resume examples
Entry Level Civil Engineer Cover Letter Example
Why this cover letter works in 2023, company connection.
By mentioning a well-known company in the industry, the writer immediately establishes credibility and shows they've done their homework on the employer.
The writer shares a specific accomplishment from their internship, demonstrating their ability to make a tangible impact in a real-world project.
This sentence conveys genuine excitement for the role by showcasing the job seeker's passion for sustainable infrastructure projects, aligning their interests with the company's values.
Research Your Prospective Employer
Getting specific about the company you're applying to shows that you've done your homework. It's evidence that you've gone the extra mile to understand the company's mission, values and work. A generic application can be sent to any company, but by naming the company and its achievements, you're showing that your interest is sincere and considered.
Highlight Your Successes
Don't be shy about your achievements. This sentence highlights a significant result - increasing a building's earthquake resistance by 20%. The specificity here is key. It's one thing to say you worked on a project; it's another to describe the successful outcome of that project. This gives a potential employer a clear picture of what you might bring to their team.
Showcase Teamwork and Innovative Thinking
Talking about your past teamwork and innovation not only demonstrates that you have these skills, but also that you understand their value. By linking this experience to values at the company you're applying to, you're showing that you're a good fit for their culture.
Align Your Values with the Company's
It's not just about what you can do, but who you are. Here, you're telling the hiring manager that you share the company's commitment to sustainable solutions and ethical engineering. This not only shows that you would fit in at the company, but also that you would be passionate and motivated about your work there.
Junior Civil Engineer Cover Letter Example
Express enthusiasm for the role and company.
Your excitement about the role and company shows your genuine interest and enthusiasm. Describing how much you connect with the company's mission and work can help the hiring manager envision you as part of their team.
Demonstrate Impact and Value
By quantifying your accomplishments, you make a compelling case for your potential value to a prospective employer. It's clear, concrete evidence of what you can achieve, and it encourages your future employer to imagine what similar benefits you might bring to their projects.
Exhibit Your Ability to Make a Difference
This sentence underscores how your work can have tangible, positive effects on communities. It gives the hiring manager a potent example of how your engineering skills can translate into real-world benefits, which is exactly what they'll want to see from a potential hire.
Express Your Alignment with the Company's Goals
By stating your eagerness to contribute to the company's sustainable engineering efforts, you present yourself as someone who shares their values and goals. This serves to strengthen the impression that you're not just a good fit skill-wise, but also in terms of mindset and values.
If you're struggling to start your cover letter, here are 6 different variations that have worked for others, along with why they worked. Use them as inspiration for your introductory paragraph.
Cover Letters For Jobs Similar To Entry Level Civil Engineer Roles
- Architect / Architecture Cover Letter Guide
- Civil Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Civil Engineer Project Manager Cover Letter Guide
- Design Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Entry Level Civil Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Entry-Level Civil Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Senior Civil Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Structural Engineer Cover Letter Guide
Other Engineering Cover Letters
- Audio Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Automation Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Biomedical Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Chief Digital Officer Cover Letter Guide
- Cloud Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Director of Engineering Cover Letter Guide
- Director of Information Technology Cover Letter Guide
- Director of Software Engineering Cover Letter Guide
- Electrical Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Electronic Technician Cover Letter Guide
- Engineering Manager Cover Letter Guide
- Environmental Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- ETL Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Front End Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Full Stack Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Implementation Specialist Cover Letter Guide
- Industrial Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Data Integration Architect Cover Letter Guide
- IT Auditor Cover Letter Guide
- IT Manager Cover Letter Guide
- IT Specialist Cover Letter Guide
- Java Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Maintenance Technician Cover Letter Guide
- Materials Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Mechanical Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Network Administrator Cover Letter Guide
- Network Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Packaging Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- PHP Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Platform Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Programmer Cover Letter Guide
- Project Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Python Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Quality Assurance Tester Cover Letter Guide
- Quality Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Scrum Master Cover Letter Guide
- Security Analyst Cover Letter Guide
- Service Technician Cover Letter Guide
- Sharepoint Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Software Architect Cover Letter Guide
- Software Developer Cover Letter Guide
- Software Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Solutions Architect Cover Letter Guide
- SQL Developer Cover Letter Guide
- System Administrator Cover Letter Guide
- System Engineer Cover Letter Guide
- Technology Director Cover Letter Guide
- Web Developer Cover Letter Guide